** Changed in: ubuntu-power-consumption

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/906451

Title:
  zeitgeist DEBUG log messages appearing in zeitgeist log - should be
  disabled

Status in The Ubuntu Power Consumption Project:
  In Progress
Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  Fix Committed
Status in “zeitgeist” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “zeitgeist” source package in Precise:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  While trying to identify rogue processes that periodically write log
  data unnecessarily I identified that zeitgeist is appending DEBUG
  messages to the /home/$user/.cache/zzeitgeist/daemon.log  (see
  attached log).

  Logging messages to a debug log is useful, however on production
  release code I don't expect to see DEBUG messages being written to log
  files:

  1.  If they are for debugging only then they should be inhibited in
production quality code.
  2.  Unnecessary debug messages to logs cause additional unwanted writes to
the disk - when on battery power this can cause laptops to spin drives up and
waste power.

  Since we are trying to reduce the power consumption I am requesting
  that debug messages are not written to this log unless debug is
  explicitly turned on.

  How to reproduce:

  On an installed system observe the daemon.log get DEBUG messages
  appended to it over time.  Occurs on idle and non-idle systems.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
  Package: zeitgeist 0.8.2-1
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-14-generic x86_64