Really is a bad plugin issue
Won't dupe to my bug on because no one pays it any attention anyway. (Bug
If the bad plugin was patched & rebuilt all would be fine
When Debian/Ubuntu go to the 1.0 version of gstreamer this will go away, as far
as 12.04 you all may be SOL as far as an official fix.

** Bug watch added: GNOME Bug Tracker #676174

** Also affects: gst-plugins-bad via

  nautilus can't create properties window for files with unknown  codec

Status in GStreamer Plugins (Bad):
Status in Zeitgeist Data-Sources:

Bug description:
  The following has been tried on several mp4 video files
  (downloaded from youtube via the "download-helper" plugin).

  1. Nautilus:

  Right clicking on the file and going to "properties" results in a message:
  "Creating Properties Window..."      and nothing happens after that.

  PcmanFM on the other hand has no trouble displaying the file's

  2. Totem:

  Doesn't play the file. When running in terminal I get:

  (totem:5491): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Read/writable property 'object' on
class 'ZeitgeistDpPlugin' has type 'TotemObject' which is not exactly equal to
the type 'GObject' of the property on the interface 'PeasActivatable'

  VLC on the other hand has no trouble playing the file.