Thank you Donald for telling us about you.
With respect
Mayka
--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, donald hwong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Jennifer,
>
> You have asked where, what, how about Donald.  Since Fudo Sensei
posted that he is more Asian than others.  The following is about me.

> I was born in Shanghai, raised in Taiwan, Catholic high schooled in
Japan, EE at Berkeley in the 60s. with Buddhist Grandma, Protestan
Father.  I loved Nietsche, Watts, Krishnamurti, as well as being a
choir conductor at church.  Four different versions of Ave maria were
hymmed constantly by me.  A sort of realy mixed up, jammed together
but happy go lucky fellow most of the time.  Deep down, I know there
is an answer for all my questions somewhere.  There is got to be
something more than just living happily.

> Then I encountered, "Learn without words. Transmit without
formality."  These words made more sense to me than most of the
philosophers, bibles, theories, religions, etc.  These words sort of
combined all of them together.   It was from a Taiwanese School of
Chan (pronounced Zen in Japan).

> I was then taught and practiced Sitting Zen (exact same Chinese
characters as Zazen in Japanese).  I practiced nothing but Sitting
for three years in Los Angeles, taught by one of our Master's
disciple, Jue Miao Young Lian(age 69). This Sitting of ours, is very
demanding with detailed charts, procedures and energy flows.
(Available on our website)

> In these years of half lotus, I witness changes in many
practitioners, some physical, some mental, some spiritual.  Being an
engineering major, I tried hard to apply logic to explain everything
that I have witnessed.  But I was not successful.  There were too
many phenomenon just can not be explained by logic, science, words.
In general, those who do practice dilligently do become happier,
healthier and easier to be with, including myself.

> It took me four years, to have my internal Chi flowing to all my
chakras and channels without obstruction. Then the concept
of "Purity, Wisdom, Consummation and Enlightenment" was taught to me.
These are our guidelines to our own enlightenment. I guess I was
considered ready to begin the practice of fulfillment, consummation
and carrying the karma of others.

> For the first fifteen years, our Master taught only Sitting Zen
and these four words. Without any sutras, because without having a
somewhat clean body and mind to receive, words can be confusing,
interpretive and even self-serving. Words and concepts are dangerous
and do create karma.

> Even after I was ordained to be a teacher, I am still reminded to
beware of the Eight Winds.  The bigger the Buddha, the bigger the
Devil.

> As you can perceive by now, our school is very rigid and
structured.  Everything is well defined.  Yet to understand, to
witness and to absorb the Dharma requires effort, dedication,
fortitude, etc. (Six Acts of Perfection)

> In our school, we talk less and Sit More.  You may probably notice
that I often say, "Practice and you shall witness."  It also means,
don't think, don't analyze, don't argue, just experience through your
spirit(or chi).

> We are each Buddha within.  Each school is different.  Karma and
Cause & Effect (not words, but witness) placed each of us at
different schools.  These are our journey and our challenge.

> As long as we remain an open heart, we shall be able to live
through every word in Diamond Sutra.  Diamond Sutra like Heart Sutra
are not just guidelines to be studied, chanted or analyzed, they are
also our experiences.

> Chan is well defined in our school.  It is the life force and
wisdom of the universe.  It is to be connected to and synchronized
with.  We all can.  Just have to practice.