From: cid830 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Zen] Re: buddhism
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 23 October, 2008, 10:59 AM

Hi Bob,

I'm Chris, and I am a little knowlegeable on this subject. There are
Buddhist monks and nuns. And there are Zen Buddhist monks and nuns.
As far as I know, there is a difference between traditional buddhism
and zen buddhism. Zen buddhism has streamlined alot of the dogma, but
there are still clergy that perform zen buddhist rituals and
ceremonies.

You may be right about the first Buddha, these stories were passed on
for centuries before being written. And still, differing schools of
thought brought differing accounts of the Buddha's words and deeds.

Some in this group believe zen is seperate from buddhism altogether,
like you said Zen is life. Very simple. I think most here can agree
on that, it is just that there are differing methods that we use to
come to this realization. Some think that you have to work to
dissolve the illusions that your ego brings forth. And some may
believe that all of that work in itself is just an illusion.

Anyway, it's all about living here and now, being fully in the
moment. As long as you can do this, the path that brought you here
doesn't matter. That is, unless someone is asking for directions, I
guess.

Welcome to the group.

Chris

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com, <rtherriault@ ...> wrote:

> I have never met any kind of Buddhist monk or nun. I have never met
any kind of practicioner of Buddhism. I have only met people who
meditate on various levels. Are there such things as monks and nuns
of Zen? I have always thought of Zen as very individualistic and
idiosyncratic. Zen is life. Very simple. Are there big rituals and
ceremonies in Zen? I kind of doubt if the first Buddha had a zafu
under the Bodhi tree and even if he sat in a lotus position. These
are latter day rituals added on for organizational purposes. But is
Zen supposed to be like this?

> Your Friendly Philosopher,
>
> Bob T
>
> http://www.anecdota lstories. blogspot. com
> http://www.stairway toparadise. blogspot. com
> http://www.jazzmood s.blogspot. com
> http://www.holism4u s.blogspot. com
> http://www.ethicswi thoutwalls. blogspot. com
> http://www.jennyand i.blogspot. com

      Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted before someone else does!