One of Bill's words makes a lot of sense to me: zen predates Buddhism. But I would rather that they don't separate. OK, I don't want to get back to those 'delusional' discussions about morality. It is irrelevant here. Regards, Anthony
--- On Thu, 23/10/08, cid830 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: From: cid830 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [Zen] Re: buddhism To: [email protected] Date: Thursday, 23 October, 2008, 10:59 AM Hi Bob, I'm Chris, and I am a little knowlegeable on this subject. There are Buddhist monks and nuns. And there are Zen Buddhist monks and nuns. As far as I know, there is a difference between traditional buddhism and zen buddhism. Zen buddhism has streamlined alot of the dogma, but there are still clergy that perform zen buddhist rituals and ceremonies. You may be right about the first Buddha, these stories were passed on for centuries before being written. And still, differing schools of thought brought differing accounts of the Buddha's words and deeds. Some in this group believe zen is seperate from buddhism altogether, like you said Zen is life. Very simple. I think most here can agree on that, it is just that there are differing methods that we use to come to this realization. Some think that you have to work to dissolve the illusions that your ego brings forth. And some may believe that all of that work in itself is just an illusion. Anyway, it's all about living here and now, being fully in the moment. As long as you can do this, the path that brought you here doesn't matter. That is, unless someone is asking for directions, I guess. Welcome to the group. Chris --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com, <rtherriault@ ...> wrote: > > I have never met any kind of Buddhist monk or nun. I have never met any kind of practicioner of Buddhism. I have only met people who meditate on various levels. Are there such things as monks and nuns of Zen? I have always thought of Zen as very individualistic and idiosyncratic. Zen is life. Very simple. Are there big rituals and ceremonies in Zen? I kind of doubt if the first Buddha had a zafu under the Bodhi tree and even if he sat in a lotus position. These are latter day rituals added on for organizational purposes. But is Zen supposed to be like this? > > > Your Friendly Philosopher, > > Bob T > > http://www.anecdota lstories. blogspot. com > http://www.stairway toparadise. blogspot. com > http://www.jazzmood s.blogspot. com > http://www.holism4u s.blogspot. com > http://www.ethicswi thoutwalls. blogspot. com > http://www.jennyand i.blogspot. com > Get your new Email address! Grab the Email name you've always wanted before someone else does! http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/sg/
