Hello Audrey:

I've enjoyed listening to your sharing.  Thank you.

The times I participated in retreats by TNH,  there is a daily sharing in the
afternoon.  This sharing is part of the practise.  It's part of the retreat
programme.  This practise is also made in the local sangha who usually gathers
once a week.  After the sitting down session.  We sit down silently in a
circle.  Every time someone wishes to share something, that person with palms
together bows to the sangha and the sangha bows back to that person as a
response.  There are no words in this gesture.   Then, the person starts
whatever wants to share or say and for as long as that person wants to speak.
No one can't do  an interruption to the one who speaks.   The practise for the
listener is to listen very deeply to the one who speaks.  All these is
made through the awareness of the in and out breathing.   Once the one who
shares has finished his/her sharing he or with palm together  bows back to the
sangha and the sangha bows
 back to him or her. I've found this practise very useful by training ourselves
in attention and listening to others.  This practise show us how the mind is
continuously judging and how extremely difficult is to listen to a person free
from any view, judgements, notions....in a few words a great discovery about
one reaction while listening to others specially if the sharing is tedious or
tiring, boring....we have to hold there and listening very deeply.

Mayka