Siska,

The historical stories of koans are full of verbal responses.  Like ‘The Oak
Tree in the Garden’, or ‘A dried shit-stick’, or the most famous of all
‘Mu’….Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
siska_...@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:49 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas

Hi Bill,

> They are usually delivered as a question (What is X?) or a request (Show me
> Y.).

This was also mentioned in the article Ed posted. I can't imagine any words
able to represent the responds to all those koans.

siska
From: <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Sender: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:55:09 +0700
To: <Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com

Siska,

A koan doesn’t have to be either historical or a story. Current zen teachers
very frequently create a koan especially tailored to address what they feel are
inadequacies of a particular students. These probably wouldn't be delivered in
story form. They are usually delivered as a question (What is X?) or a request
(Show me Y.). You don't read much about these because they are a very personal
communication between the teacher and student.

The koans generally referred to are historical stories, accounts of the actions
especially interactions of historical zen masters. The two most referenced
works containing koans such as these are THE GATELESS GATE and THE BLUE CLIFF
RECORD.

The quality that makes a koan a koan is that it is a direct expression of
Buddha Nature.

...Bill!