Deborah said:

" Zen is obsessed with the moment and staying in it whereas Chan is a
gentler just being."

A balanced, non-feminist and non-masculinist way of saying the same
might be:

" Zen is a being in the here and now, whereas Chan is just being - in
some place and at some point in time."

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Mingins <taomtnsa...@...>
wrote:

To Jue Miao Jing Ming- It seems you feel there is not much difference
between Chan and Zen, whereas in my humble experience they are quite
different. Zen is obsessed with the moment and staying in it whereas
Chan is a gentler just being. One thing I cannot understand with Chan,
considering it's having been so influenced by Taoism, is how it doesn't
believe in duality, where Taoism definitely does. I would appreciate
your thoughts on these things, as you have made alot of sense to me, and
have had accurate information and good suggestions...taomtnsa...@...
</group/Zen_Forum/post?postID=0xpEptlr5XEcqkkKUph7QMGachvjwxi7maRAn48OE5\
cwovRixQtR8GnvZyuX0xUbZZIPrBuKcuIVr5QDkpAQFBEIr1lJpUDJpU-SCyid>