From: Bill! <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: [Zen] Re: Differences in Practice
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 26 January, 2011, 8:08 AM

JMJM,
I have embedded my responses below describing the techniques and practices I
was taught, and the expanations of them:
--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺妙精明
<chan.jmjm@...> wrote:

> Thank you Bill. I have learned again. There is more in common in
> practice as well. Now, let me share with you the reasons for some of
> these "requirement". Then perhaps you can share with me what you were
> taught as to why you were "asked" to do so.
>
> * Eyes closed completely to shut down all 5 aggregates, enables us
> to enhance awareness internally.
Eyes half-open to help to help resist falling asleep or day-dreaming.  You're
supposed to lower your gaze to a spot about 3 or 4 feet in front of you, or on
a wall if you're facing a wall, and then 'de-focus' your eyes.  It is not
focusing on an object but just sitting with your eyes half-open.
> * Walking depletes the Chi we were suppose to cultivate.
Walking helps us physically by getting blood back into our legs to make sitting
more comfortable.  Also it serves as a transition so we can take shikantaza up
off the cushion and begin to integrate it into other activities in our daily
life.  They also used chanting (seated and standing), bowing and daily chores
for the same purpose.
> * It takes on the average of 45 minutes to take us into another realm.
Zendos I've attented sit periods of anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes, but they do
usually sit 3 sets of these in a row broken up by a 5 minute kinhin (walking
meditation which can also serve as a toliet break - and maybe nowdays to check
your twitter messages).
> * Curl the tongue to touch the roof of the mouth connects our Fire
> and Water Channel for proper Chi flow.
The slightly arched tongue touching the roof of the mouth with just a little
vacuum was to reduce the flow of saliva to reduce the frequency of the need to
swallow, clear your throat, etc...
> * Sit flat on floor with half lotus increase our Chi flow by eight
> times. Full lotus increases our Chi flow by 24 times.
Sitting position is  important to give you a solid base so you're not straining
to sit (leg muscles/back muscles), and to open up your abdomen to promote
'belly-breathing'.
> * Hara is Dan Tian in Chinese. It is for QiGong(Chi Cultivation)
> practice, Chan focus on a spot about 3 fingers directly behind our
> belly button, not below. That is where all our Chi were
> generated. This spot is also supported by Traditional Chinese
> Medicine (please google TCM).
The 'hara' is located inside your belly, and I'm certain I was told it was also
slightly below your navel.  I was encouraged to move center of my
'consciousness' there rather than carry it high up in my head right behind my
eyes like most Westerners do.  I was told this would give me a better 'center'
and 'balance'.  Although it was not part of my Zen teaching I always assumed
this was the same as 'chi' or 'ki' that martial artists use - for example
directing all their focus into a striking hand or foot.
> * Why is the cultivation of Chi critical in Sitting Chan, because
> only by having Chi (energy) we can transform our body to be
> healthier. When our Middle Channel of Chi flows smoothly, we can
> more effectively enter Stillness to witness True Form.
Physical health was not a big topic discussed in the zendo.  I think it was
implied that if you did zazen it would help you reduce stress, work around the
zendo would help you excercise your body and the sparse vegetarian diet would
be good for your body.  But these things were not explicitly discussed.  The
definite emphasis was always sitting, sitting and more sitting - eithere
shikantaza or koan study.
After going through these my first obsrevation is that Japanese Zen Buddhism
and Chan teach very much the same things, but explain the reasons for doing
them differently.  Chan's explanation are more mystical where Zen's
explanations are more pragmatic.  In saying this I am only making observations
and not drawing any conclusion nor making any judgements.
...Bill!