From: ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Is Chan Buddhist?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 26 January, 2011, 9:42 AM

I am esentially on the same wave-lengrh as you two. --ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill!" <BillSmart@...> wrote:

Steve, I agree with everything you have posted below and have in fact
posted
the same over and over in this forum for years.

These are conclusions I arrived at myself, not ones I were taught - but
as you
say there are hints and insinuations of these in many zen texts. It
seems
completely obvious to me now. Of course the counter-argument to this is
that I
just see/interpret what I want to see.

How did you arrive at these conclusions? By yourself or through some
teaching -
writings or in-person?

Thanks...Bill!

> > Hi Bill! I was taught zazen initially by those Japanese Karate
sensei who
happened to follow Soto. I was taught pretty much as you say. We did use
the
seiza kneeling posture, but that is generally used in traditional
Karate-Do. I
agree with you in regards to karma.
> In my opinion, it is lower-level understanding, deriving from
common-sense
notions of time and causality that are valid only from the relative,
finite
point of view. This is tied-in with the Two Truths understanding.
Ultimately, in
my opinion, even The Twelve-Fold Chain of Dependant Origination is
illusiory,
but useful for practice from the relative view-point. You know, The
Heart Sutra
pretty much just comes out and says this, imo. In my opinion,
common-sense
notions of cause and effect are based upon the illusion of sequential
time. If,
as I believe, time is an illusion and only Now exists, then even the
doctrine of
sequential re-birth is an illusion. IMO, everything is happening now.
IMO, a lot
of Buddhist doctrines are upaya, useful fictions for practice. This is
one
conclusion I have come to after over 3 decades of watching my breathing,
not
only while sitting, but also in daily activity. However, I could be just
mistaken.