What can I say.  I'm on a roll!  ...Bill!

--- In [email protected], "Bill Smart" <Bill@...> wrote:
>
> --- In [email protected], JWMeritt@A... wrote:
> > In some of his writings, Win Wenger has observed an inverse 
> correlation between  "intelligence" (whatever THAT is!) and breath 
> rate. In a FICTIONAL account, I  read of a non-breathing entity who 
> possessed, largely because of the lack of distractions, what might 
> be termed an enhanced intellect. Obviously, there is  more involved. 
> That a FICTIONAL account mentions what I have seen in one author's 
> factual account leads me to believe that there are other references  
> to  this about. Anyone seen them and/or care to comment?
> 
> Jim,
> 
> I haven't seen them but do care to comment.
> 
> All of this does certainly depend on what you think 'intelligence' 
> is.  You've indicated you do not really know; neither do I.  Nor do 
> I know what the relationship between the brain and intelligence is.
> 
> If you think the brain is an EMENATOR of intelligence, then I would 
> tend to dismiss Win Wenger's fictional correlation.  I would think 
> that a highly oxgenated blood supply (which is accomplished by 
> breathing)is a positive contributor to optimum brain activity.  So 
> would a glucose-rich blood supply, higher-blood pressure; stimulants 
> and brain receptor enhancers like caffeine and cocaine; and a 
> variety of other external conditions that would allow the brain to 
> focus efficiently on the tasks at hand.
> 
> On the other hand if you think (like Aldous Huxley did) the function 
> of the brain is to FILTER the plethera of input we receive and only 
> present to our consciousness that which is necessary for our 
> physical survival, then Win Wenger's fictional correlation makes 
> some sense.  Anything that would inhibit the brain's filtering 
> function would also help.  Besides slowing of breath these can 
> include fasting (lowering of blood sugar), chanting (lowering of 
> oxygen levels in blood), self-flagellation (releases endorphins and 
> other hormones) and of course drugs (LSD, THC, etc...).
> 
> But as you know I don't place much importance on intellect and 
> intelligence in zen practice.  I'll stick with zazen.
> 
> ...Bill!
>




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to