From:  uerusub...@yahoo.co.uk
Sender:  Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 04:39:59 +0100 (BST)
To: zen group<Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo:  Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: Zuli Agrees With Bill!

Hi Siska,

Most of my "born Buddhist" friends are Japanese, but Buddhism is mostly nothing
more than a nominal belief in Japan (although its previous standing can still
be seen in the various arts there today).

Yes, I've heard of samatha and vipassana being taught as one meditation. I
think the sutras support either argument. In the Goenka tradition the 10-day
retreats begin with 4 days of anapanasatti (the breath as object of meditation)
before introducing vipassana at the end of the fourth day. By then the mind is
concentrated, and the hindrances eliminated, enough to begin vipassana proper.
This works for me well.

There are vipassana jhanas, but it's much less complicated to teach a beginner
the jhanic stages thru samatha meditation. I would be surprised if you haven't
entered the first jhana, even if momentarily, if you've been practicing for a
while. Of
 course, entering the jhanas by themselves doesn't yield any particular wisdom
nor lead to enlightenment, but its a helluva place to give the mind a rest!
Definitely worth experiencing tho for the power of concentration that is
developed attaining them.

Khanika samadhi is is associated with vipassana and not samatha. That almost
staccato moment to moment to moment concentration is exactly what leads to the
insight of anicca (impermanence). In fact, I'd say it is impermanence in effect
- which is exactly why vipassana means 'seeing things as they really are'! I
can see why you might think this similar to shikantaza because it's keeping
that concentration without distraction regardless of the object that comes up.
The main difference, for me at least, is that khanika samadhi describes the
state of mind during noting or scanning - something shikantaza doesn't do.

Exactly! 'Seeing as seeing'. The first time I experienced the same the jolt
 of adrenaline knocked me back into the everyday world! Again, that "newness"
and "nothing stored" is anicca in operation and you *experiencing* it rather
than merely understanding it.

Mike
PS I hope I didn't come across as teaching you something you didn't already
know? I'm just excited that someone else hear also practices Vipassana!).

PPS Just to keep it Zen related: Vipassana is very precise in its method of
instruction and terminology, whereas Zen can come across, prima facie, as
imprecise and vague. A good example would be the command to "Drop attachments".
Vipassana describes exactly what an 'attachment' is, the physical-mental
processes involved in that attachment, as well as specific practices to "drop"
that attachment. Given Zen's dislike of words and explanations, is simply
saying "drop attachments" really useful? So my questions are:  is one tradition
superior to the other? Are they at cross-purposes in the first place?
 Or are the different approaches just a question of upaya (skilful means) for
people of different temperaments? Or something else?

Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPad