Merle,

I mean liberty and security in a society are usually related in an inverse
proportion.  The more liberty you have the less security; and the more security
you have the less liberty.

In other words the more laws the less liberty but the more security.  The less
laws the more liberty but the less security.

What I said below was that in my experience most people will lean heavily
towards security over liberty.

...Bill!