On 3 December 2012 17:19, Justin Karneges <jus...@affinix.com> wrote:

> Slightly OT, but I wonder if RATE might be a useful feature to allow for
> all
> PUB sockets (and maybe just all sockets), rather than restricted to pgm
> only.
>
> It seems to me that you want to use RATE when you need to slow down sending
> but can't depend on receiver feedback. This is a problem at the pattern
> level,
> not the transport level.

Note that the RATE limits what is forwarded onto the wire, not what you are
feeding into 0mq.  If you send fast enough with no high watermark you will
consume a significant amount of memory to adverse affects.  An application
rate limited is recommended but may be more suitable as an optional layer
above 0mq API.

--
Steve-o