Sorry, I was slightly forgetting the details too; Frank's email cleared it up.

There is no point in using an external tweetnacl. If you want an
external security package, build with --with-libsodium. This disables
the built-in tweetnacl and gives you the external dependency you want
as package maintainer.

Meanwhile for users of git or tarballs get security by default without
any extra dependencies, which is a major win.

In terms of the license, given that the tweetnacl site declares
"public domain", and that it is a single source file (plus header)
I've no problem incorporating the code into libzmq. The only downside
is we'd have to patch it if there's a security fix. That is actually
easier if we control the code than if we don't.

-Pieter