    P> Frank, Thanks for your opinion. You hit it spot on, I think. It
    P> is really a relief to have security by default without any
    P> external packages.
    >>
    P> Roland, would this work? Package for Debian using libsodium?
    >>
    >> I'm a bit confused now. I thought the point of your original mail
    >> was that tweetnacl will be the default from now on and kind of
    >> substituting libsodium. If that is so, the suggested path for
    >> Debian would be to drop libsodium in favor of tweetnacl as well,
    >> with tweetnacl linked in as an external lib, just like libsodium
    >> currently is.

    F> Hi,

    F> sorry for causing confusion.

    F> I think the old default while building from source was "no
    F> cryptolib".

    F> If you want crypto you have now two options:

    F> - libsodium
    F> - tweetnacl

    F> Which you can enable with flags to the build system of choice. (I
    F> used cmake on linux/debian, but there are others too in libzmq)

    F> Libsodium is probably the better solution, except for these two
    F> points:
    F> - it does not support cmake for building :)
    F> - it requires you to install/compile it somehow seperately and
    F>   make it
    F> available to the libzmq build

    F> I have tried getting cmake support into libsodium but the pull
    F> request was rejected.  The second point is too complex for many
    F> developers who work on systems not having apt-get.

    F> libzmq3 on debian stable depends already on libsodium so has
    F> already deviated from the upstream default configuration
    F> (thanks!)  and enabled crypto. This (== using libsodium) is still
    F> the right thing to do in my opinion.

Thanks for this clarification. So does everybody agree on the following:

- Use the included tweetnacl for build/compile convenience
- Use libsodium for clean distribution type of builds
- Technically, both variants are roughly equivalent in terms of
  performance, stability and test exposure etc.

--
Roland

-------
http://www.q-leap.com / http://qlustar.com
          --- HPC / Storage / Cloud Linux Cluster OS ---