To be honest it's not a great test, the latency on each (essential) round
trip is going to kill the throughput measured in this way.

My point is this:

If you increase the size of the messages the throughput will increase as
less overall time (sender has to wait for less replies) spent waiting for
reply before sending next message.
If you reduce the size of the message the throughput will drop as more
waiting/latency.