*10/04/2008* *
http://www.thehindu.com/2008/04/10/stories/2008041054662200.htm*
------------------------------
<http://ap.p-digital-server.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.thehindu.in/2079718908/x04/default/empty.gif/6445677a70456554523467414168316f?x>

<http://www.thehindu.com/2008/04/10/01hdline.htm>
* The fascination with 'Awaara' *

London: The 1951 Raj Kapoor starrer *Awaara*, seen and enjoyed by a large
number of people across the globe, can be a candidate for the title of the
"most popular film of all times," some British film experts have said.

Dina Iordanova, Professor at the University of St. Andrews, and other
experts cite several texts and anecdotal evidence to state in a special
issue of the journal *South Asian Popular Cinema *that *Awaara* may be a
candidate for the title.

The journal maps the career of Indian films in various national contexts
outside South Asia, and includes papers exploring the popularity of Indian
films in places like Greece, Bulgaria and Africa.

The special issue on "Indian Cinema Abroad: Historiography of Transnational
Cinematic Exchanges," is co-edited by Professor Iordanova and Dimitris
Eleftheriotis of Glasgow University. They have written extensively on *
Awaara* in the issue.

Recalling her Bulgarian origins and childhood, Professor Iordanova said: "I
knew Indian films long before I had met any living Indian. We knew next to
nothing of India and the Indians; we did not know much of the personality of
Raj Kapoor either. However, the fascination with a film like
*Awaara*['Brodyaga' in Bulgarian] was everlasting; everybody knew the
actor's
ever-singing dancing persona. Nothing could match the experience of watching
*Awaara*; this film was more fascinating than any other I can remember." —
PTI

--
Jogesh

sau ghamon ko nichodne ke baad