--- In ZESTAlternative@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Victor <sys...@...> wrote:

> Especially for 3rd world countries like India, without strong
nationalistic feelings, each country will be overwhelmed by the
Western powers and will soon find itself like Egypt or Jordan or Iraq
- with quisling rulers serving as proxies for colonial powers.

Is that the only defence of the Indian nation? That the West would
undermine us otherwise?

There is certainly much to be said about the ill-effects of the nation
state.

BTW, my take on Nandy's assertion that the West is moving away from
the nation state was that he was referring to things like the
increasing autonomy being granted to Scotland by the UK and the
break-up of Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia and the festering issues of
Macedonia and Kurdistan.

> Also since Nandy is criticizing Hinduism he should state that he
himself is Christian. That's like articles by stock brokers on stocks
- they are required to state if they own any of the stocks they are
pushing. It's pretty shocking that millions of dollars flow into India
to convert Indians - what was the figure for World Vision in Tamil
Nadu last year? Almost 30 crores! And World Vision is not just a
conversion factory it has a big reputation as a CIA front. Conversions
are OK, I guess but not when fuelled by millions in FOREIGN MONEY. The
Russians and Chinese realize what is going on and have stopped such
inflows.

In the interest of full disclosure, let me admit that I was raised a
Hindu. At the risk of being chauvinistic, let me state that I find
conversion to a monotheistic faith a retrograde step. Monotheism is an
inherently flawed world view since it condemns people like me and even
unbaptized babies to hell. I would look differently at foreign money
if it was converting people to an atheistic or polytheistic world
view. That is probably progressive.