Responding to points made by Rajesh rdesa...@yahoo.com

>>the only defence of the Indian nation? That the West would undermine us
>>otherwise?

Actually not just the West, we need a strong nation to prevent anyone from
undermining us.

I mention the West because at this point in time we live in The Empire of the
West just as in previous times countries lived within the Roman Empire or the
British Empire. Right now the West is spending billions to undermine countries
that don't do what they are told to do - by doing 'false flag'  attacks, by
pushing 'economic reforms' sending money to fake NGOs, ...an endless series of
tactics.

A lot of talk re.nationalism  is just 'educated' Indians aping what they read
in Western media.
It seems like common sense to me that a strong nation is needed if a group of
people want to defend themselves and advance economically.
OK so once you have a country it has to be strong - are u saying it is good to
have a weak country that say allows states to secede?Is it OK with u if Punjab
or Tamil Nadu or Assam secedes?  .

>>There is certainly much to be said about the ill-effects of the nation state.
Like what??

The hackneyed response I get is, look what happened with Nazi Germany, they
were extremely nationalistic and this led to 6 million Jews being killed. They
forget that Germany was defeated because of the extremely nationalistic
Russians who lost 26 million of their own people in decisively defeating
Germany.

>>Nandy...was referring to things like the increasing autonomy being granted
>>to Scotland by the UK and the break-up of Czechoslovakia and
>>Yugoslavia

Hello?? increasing autonomy being granted to Scotland by the UK?? How generous
of the UK!

All that is happening is that local Scots are sweeping the elections in
Scotland. Let the Scots try doing ANYTHING really independent - such as not
sending Scots to kill Iraqis and Afghanis or boycotting Israel for it's ongoing
massacre of Palestinians and you will see immediately how little true autonomy
Scotland has.

I'm fuzzy about Czechoslovakia.

Yugoslavia is the opposite situation from what you think it is. Yugoslavia used
to be a strong nation that valiantly fought the Nazis but it was too
independent for the West so they successfully dismembered it - remember Clinton
actually bombing Yougoslavia?  They have  carved out a little slave country -
Kosovo - that the West is running using it's own muslim terrorists and
drug-runners

>>In the interest of full disclosure, let me admit that I was  raised a
>>Hindu....Monotheism >>condemns people like me and even unbaptized babies to
>>hell.

Rajesh, like me previously, you have a completely wrong idea about Hinduism,
monotheism, hell etc.  Please re-read Bhagavad Gita and try some Deepak Chopra
books, I was very impressed by the parts in Chopra's Quantum Healing where he
reconciles the Quantum Physics with spirituality.

This is a very long topic but I'll give it a shot:

1) There is a spirit world and a materialistic world. Spirit refers to the
'intrinsic' quality of things as when one says I like her spiritedness. In
Hinduism Brahman is spirit.

2) The materialistic world arises from and is 100% dependent on it's existence
on the spirit. In Hindu terms a single thought from the mind of Brahman causes
all the worlds to spring into existence.

3) The basic problem is that humans, though their essence is spirit, become
'attached' to material objects and concepts which can only give very fleeting
happiness and fleeting security. This state, of being attached, is hell. Not
some fiery pit where one burns for eternity This is the basic concept behind
all religions.

4)  Now why doesn't the spirit just appear to us and tell us to snap out of
this delusional
attchment?
Because it isn't human, it would be like one of us trying to tell a colony of
ants to move to another location since the place they are now is going to be
made into a petrol bunk. So spirit has to "appear in human form"  That's the
Avatar concept. In that sense, Christianity is just a subset of Hinduism. Jesus
is another Avatar.
In my mind all religions are telling us different ways to get out of the
materialistic delelusion and back into contact with the spirit. See Gandhi's
autobiography - that what he says his aim was, not independence for India. He
was seeking to be closer to the spirit and all this other stuff just happened

Just like if you have athletic talent and want to win a medal in the 100M
sprint there are so many coaches with different methods but the aim is to run
faster   For one person this coach may be better for another, someone else.

5) However when the Avatars appear and clue us on to the truth, no one
understands it because we are so heavily attached to the material world!! So
then the message has to be "dumbed down" or modified to adapt to the current
situation of each person.
This accounts for the 1000's of religious sects. From Kali worshipping Bengalis
to Roman Catholics going from bead to bead on their rosaries and hammering out
100's of Hail Mary Mother of God prayers,every day to me, a Protestant, with a
tiny handwritten in pencil "Our Father Who Art in Heaven " prayer tucked in my
wallet - quite remarkable diversity!
Unfortunately most people who are religious are using their little religious
insight to further their own materialistic aims e.g.offer prayers asking for
spouse's promotion.

And doing rituals are so much easier than actually changing actions but maybe
better than doing nothing.

5) So then what is the point of life? As far as I can see, it is Krishna Lila
- which is us(the gopis) engaged in play(lila) with the spirit(Krishna). The
universe is putting on a Spectacular Display go ahead and enjoy
Don't have to go far and wide to find the next Krishana since the spirit is
everywhere, most obviously in little children.

A side light is that the universe after arising from spirit gradually wears
down - four yugas - and we are now in the last yuga - the terrible Kali Yuga
where is everything is falling apart.
One ca't just hold one's breath and wait for the next Yuga - this one has
1000's of years to go!    The silver lining is that I've read that in Kali Yuga
one doesn't need to a tremendous effort to get enlightened - just do a normal
job and you will be a hero!    .