We see the same in most English films that depict scenes where regional
languages would in reality be the chosen language for communication. Yet the
films use the regional languages as a "look and feel" prop and use English
as the language to converse with the international audience. Its a standard
format. Though the characters could have had "Indian" English accents, this
would not help the international viewer to identify with the characters any
more than they do (or don't). Regarding the loss of essence of the "real"
Bombay as in the police thane scenes, we see that even when we translate
between our own regional languages. All commercial bollywood films use Hindi
as the language spoken between characters when in reality they should be
conversing in their regional languages as most people in India do. The
essence of any feeling that is peculiar to a specific class / region can be
best depicted in the original language of that section of society. The loss
feel in translation is always evident to those who belong to that section.
For the Indian viewer the film is available in hindi.

Juthika.