<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-4751063,prtpage-1.cms#>
    Hospital turns away gas victims 8 Jul 2009, 0341 hrs IST, Suchandana
Gupta, TNN

  BHOPAL: Mushtaq Ahmed was 20 when the gas tragedy struck this city on the
midnight of December 2, 1984. Over the years, he developed a cardiac problem
and both his kidneys were damaged.

On September 24, 2008, he complained of stomach ache and was rushed to
Bhopal Memorial Hospital and Research Centre (BMHRC), a super-speciality
hospital built for treating gas victims and under the supervision of the
Supreme Court. But Ahmed died the next day without any treatment as the
hospital turned him away refusing to admit him.

"The doctor in the emergency ward would not admit him. He kept reading the
newspaper while a nurse told us to go to another hospital because there was
no doctor in the gastrology department," recalled Ahmed’s brother Iftaqar.

"From 12 midnight to 12 noon the next day, my brother kept tossing in pain
on the hospital floor and no one would even take a look at him. We asked for
an ambulance to shift him to the district hospital. We were denied that too.
By the time we arranged some money and an auto to take him elsewhere, he
died on the hospital floor."

Twenty-five years after the tragedy, victims are being denied admission and
treatment in the hospital, despite the fact that it was built with the
compensation money for gas victims. Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Sangathan, a
Bhopal-based NGO, has demanded dissolution of the board of trustees of the
hospital.

The hospital was constructed with the money received from the sale of Union
Carbide properties. Sangathan convener Abdul Jabbar said, ‘‘The sole
intention of this ultra-modern, state-of-the-art hospital was to provide
medical treatment to gas victims. The hospital initially had a Rs 290 crore
corpus which has now become more than Rs 500 crore. The interest earned
annually from this money is around Rs 50 to Rs 60 crore. Also, other
patients pay for their treatment, which brings an annual income of Rs 6
crore to Rs 9 crore.’’

‘‘Mushtaq Ahmed is not an isolated case. Gas victims are being denied
treatment, admission, even medicines. The neurology department has no
doctor. Nephrology and urology departments are running with one doctor each.
Six departments have closed down and 10 are running partially. Take a gas
victim to the hospital and the doctor is not available, there are no
medicines and there is no bed to admit patients,’’ Jabbar alleged.

Aqueel Ahmed, 29, a gas victim, has damaged kidneys and requires dialysis
three times a week. He claimed the hospital is supposed to provide treatment
and medicine free of cost. Instead a rule has been formulated to provide
dialysis just 10 times in a life-time. ‘‘Why only 10 dialysis when they are
supposed to be providing free treatment for life-time? They told me to get
my treatment done outside. I require hemoglobin injections once a week and
BMHRC has not given a single shot so far. Each injection costs me Rs 1,300.
I have gone bankrupt having paid Rs 8 lakh for dialysis and injections,’’
Aqueel said.

- Jogesh