*'The Church has branded me a prostitute'*  **2009-07-09 13:32:18
Last Updated: 2009-07-10 20:28:54

[image: jesme]By Salil Jose

*Sister Jesme had been a member of the Congregation of the Mother of Carmel
for 33 years.

Jesme, who was the principal of the congregation-run St Mary's College in
Thrissur, opposed a few undesirable actions of the management. Appalled by
her liberal views, her superiors branded her insane and forced her to
undergo medication. The ill-treatment meted out by her superiors forced her
to leave the congregation in August 2008.*

However, she was bent on exposing the corruption in the House of God and and
she scandalised the Catholic Church in Kerala through her autobiography, 'Amen:
The Autobiography of a
Nun'.<http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?a=jhddqGbhdfc&title=Revelations_of_a_sister_who_stormed_out_of_a_nunnery>The
book, which was first published in Malayalam, highlights the sexual
relationship between priests and nuns, the prevalent lesbianism in convents
and many other evils. The book has been called a 'shocking account of the
life within the enclosure'. The English version of the taboo-breaking book
was published recently.

In an exclusive interview to Sify.com, she says the Church is trying to
tarnish her name by branding her a prostitute.

Excerpts:

Why did it take 33 years for you to leave the congregation even though you
had been suffering ill-treatment all the while?

Often people ask me two questions: Why it took 33 years for me to come out,
and second why I came out. In fact, I never wanted to come out.

Years ago, when I opposed certain evils in the congregation, my superiors
and others branded me insane. They forced me to take medication for
insanity. I suffered that silently. I thought they would never do the same
thing again to me. So I remained in the congregation even after that. I
thought my suffering had ended. But they did the same thing again.

As principal of St Mary's College, I opposed certain policies of the
management. They could not brook my liberal views too. They tried to declare
me insane once again and forced me to take medication. So I had no other
option this time, but to escape.

Why didn't you go to another convent?

The mother general was against me. She was in fact one of the perpetrators
of my suffering. So wherever I go under the same congregation, I could not
escape from her.

Then why didn't you try another congregation?

Another congregation would not accept me since the Congregation of the
Mother of Carmel  is very powerful and traditional. Other congregations
would always see me as a problem creator.

Above all, I didn't want to join another congregation.  Joining another
congregation is like jumping from one prison to another. I hated being a
part of any institution.

One could feel some missing links in your autobiography. In certain places
you just skipped without narrating the events that led to your suffering...

I could not accept many of the actions and views of my superiors. So they
wanted to silence me by declaring me insane.

STREE: A weekly women's magazine on Sify.com <http://sify.com/news/women/>

I know a 60-year-old nun who wrote in her diary what really happened in a
convent. She was called mad and forced to take 12 pills daily. There are
lots of such examples.  The State Women's Commission chairperson once said
that the commission got many letters from nuns narrating the suffering they
underwent in convents.

<http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?a=jhddqGbhdfc&title=Revelations_of_a_sister_who_stormed_out_of_a_nunnery>
Many sisters want to come out, but they don't have financial independence.
So they suffer and die in convents. The main reason I came out was that I
knew I could could live on my pension.

But money is not enough. You need support, at least after a few years...

Come on, we are modern women. We can take care of ourselves. But, as you
said, I would require support at a later stage. At that time, I will go to
an old age home. I don't want to trouble my relatives.

You wanted to reform the congregation and the Church. However, you left the
congregation and highlighted the evils through a book. Was going public the
only option left for you? Why didn't you try to get support from your peers
while you were still a member of the congregation?

You know the answer. Many sisters told me that my concerns were genuine. But
they were not ready to protest. So I had no other way.

I highlighted the corruption in the system which include greed for money,
sexual relations between priests and nuns, lesbianism in convents and so on.
But they tried to silence me by calling me insane.

>From what my friends have told me and from my own experience, I can say that
the Catholic Church wants to silence those who oppose it. The Church calls
me a prostitute through its publications.

There is a passing reference about your political leanings in the book. But
it's not clear.  Could you explain it?

The Marxist government in Kerala opposes the educational policies of the
Church. Marxists oppose the Church demanding capitation fee and amassing
money. Educated people know that the Marxists' views are genuine. I also
feel so.

The Church doubts I am a Marxist.  People ask me if I am an activist of the
CPI or CPI-M. But I am not a member of any of the parties. Parties invite me
to attend some cultural programmes and I attend. There is nothing more than
that.

In the book, you say your mission is to work for the 'lay-religious' after
leaving the congregation. What kind of a work you are doing for the
'lay-religious'?

It's a mission given to me by Jesus. Right now, I don't know what it exactly
is. May be, Jesus wants me to give protection to women who are single and
who need protection. I hope to provide shelter to women who want to live
away from their families. I can take care of their accommodation and food.
When I was in Delhi, there were lots of such women who wanted protection.
But I moved to Kerala. Right now I stay in a place near Kozhikode where I
support some Muslim women who could not continue their education.

<http://sify.com/news/women/>How will you source money for your mission?

A part of my pension is used to support them. Also, I get royalties for my
books. The Calicut University invites me to conduct classes and seminars and
I get some money in that way also. But this is not enough to find
accommodation and food for many women.

Asianet Radio broadcast a programme in Gulf about me. After listening to
that programme, many NRIs have come forward to offer financial support for
my mission.

You consider it a mission given to you by Jesus. Does it mean that you will
be teaching Christianity to the women whom you take care of?

No. There is no imparting of religious education. I am a liberal-minded
woman. I know there is good in all religions. And my mission is to give
peace and joy to others.

Book review: Revelations of a sister who stormed out of a
nunnery<http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?a=jhddqGbhdfc&title=Revelations_of_a_sister_who_stormed_out_of_a_nunnery>