Soul man

What an inspiring soul.

- Jogesh

*Soul man*

Satish Kumar has spent much of his life walking the Earth to spiritually
connect with nature; now he wants environmentalists and all of us to forget
gloomy predictions and follow in his footsteps. John Vidal reports

   - *John Vidal* <http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/johnvidal>
   - The Guardian <http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian>, Wednesday 16
   January 2008

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jan/16/activists/print#history-byline>

 [image: Satish Kumar]

It sounds like a tale from a more innocent and idealistic age. Forty-six
years ago, when he was 19, Satish Kumar was sitting in a southern Indian
cafe with a friend when they heard that 90-year-old English philosopher
Bertrand Russell was going to prison as a protest against the spread of
nuclear weapons. As Kumar tells it, the two companions were so impressed by
Russell's commitment to non-violence and civil disobedience, and so appalled
at the potential destructive power of the weapons, that they "talked and
talked" about what they could do.

In the end, Kumar, who had been trained, as a wandering Jain monk, to revere
nature, but who had run away from the monastery to become a disciple of
Vinoba Bhave, Gandhi's spiritual successor, vowed with his companion to set
off on a peace walk to the four corners of the nuclear world - Washington,
London, Paris and Moscow - as an act of protest and non-violence.

Thirty months and 8,000 miles later, carrying no passport or money and
having no idea what would happen when he finished, Kumar ended up at John F
Kennedy's grave in the US. The pilgrimage was over and, on one level, there
was nothing to show for their effort. The world had more nuclear weapons
than ever, and Kumar and his companion had worn out dozens of pairs of
shoes.

But while for many people the idea of walking around the world carrying a
simple message was an irrational, illogical and wholly unrealistic exercise,
it has proved to have had great influence in Britain, where Kumar then
settled. He has now spent 35 years in Devon teaching many of the world's
leading thinkers about the necessity for ecological and spiritual values, as
well as editing the magazine Resurgence. His insistence that reverence for
nature needs to be at the heart of the world's political and social debate
is the counterpoint to the insistent mantra of economic "realism" advocated
and practised by government, environment groups and authorities.

Kumar has no time for realists. "Is my approach unrealistic?" he asks. "Look
at what realists have done for us. They have led us to war and climate
change, poverty on an unimaginable scale, and wholesale ecological
destruction. Half of humanity goes to bed hungry because of all the
realistic leaders in the world. I tell people who call me 'unrealistic' to
show me what their realism has done. Realism is an outdated, overplayed and
wholly exaggerated concept."

Instead, he seeks to learn from nature, which he calls his guide and
cathedral. "Nature is realistic, and I would say that man is the only being
who is not," he says. "Who else goes to bed hungry? Not the snakes or the
tigers or any other animal. Nature does not need 'realistic' Tescos or
Monsantos to feed themselves. Our system of 'realistic' business leadership
has totally failed."

Kumar argues that the spiritual aspect of the environment is what has been
lost in the great debate about the way we live, and that the broad
environment movement has not understood the power of concepts such as love
and reverence, which are not to be confused with religion, he insists. "The
environment movement here is very logical and analytical. But it is driven
by doom, gloom and disaster."

People look at nature from a very utilitarian point of view and see what is
good for them only, he says, and seek to manage it rather than protect it.
"I want to move people to a more experiential philosophy of the natural
world," he says. "That way you can protect it." He sees no reason why
governments and authorities should not be driven by philosophies of
reverence to nature rather than violence to it.

"Social systems can be changed," Kumar insists. "The ones we have now are
not very old. The trouble is we are driven by fear and so we take panic
decisions, like opting for nuclear power. At the moment, our culture is of
violence - to nature, animals, people, ourselves. We are not protecting
nature these days so much as managing it without knowing it. If you want to
protect it, go out in it."

Kumar has never given up his wanderings. In 1986, he walked 2,000 miles
around Britain; in 1997, he walked to the sacred mount Kailash in Tibet. He
quotes German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche's view that you should "never
trust a thought that didn't come by walking". Kumar says: "When you walk,
you are in touch with the earth, with nature, the wasps, the insects,
everything. In a car or a train or a plane, you are disconnected. You walk
to connect yourself."

His walk around Britain convinced him that these islands were among the most
beautiful in the world, despite the damage being done. His own best loved
patch is Dartmoor, between his home in north Devon and the Schumacher
college in Totnes that he founded and where he is programme director.
"Dartmoor is home," he says. "I have been going there for 40 years. Every
year, I am surprised to find something new. You do not need to go to the
Himalayas or lake Baikal. On your own doorstep are the most extraordinary
places. The ordinary is the extraordinary here. When my wife asked what I
would like to do for my birthday, I said I only wanted to go to Dartmoor.
When I want inspiration or new thinking, I go there."

On Friday, he will be seen on the moor in all four seasons in a Natural
World programme on BBC2. If the film shows slightly less of him in the
summer months, it's because the camera team had him in the middle of a
stream when he fell and broke his ankle. It delayed everything for six
weeks. "They were very accommodating, lovely people", he says.

What has he learned in England? "That there is an enormous spiritual and
scientific heritage that we are ignoring. People such as [artist] William
Morris, [poet] Kathleen Raine in our own time, and others. Their heritage is
that of the imagination. Economics must be put in its place, imagination
should be at the forefront. We are tending to go only for the economics."

This imbalance between ecology and economy, he says, leaves people stressed
and unhappy. "The happiest people I have seen in Britain, or anywhere, are
those who live close to the land and people who use their hands -
craftspeople. All over the world they transform the world. They effect
transformation. People like [environmental sculptor] Andy Goldsworthy can
take a leaf and transform it. They restore the dignity of work by hand."

Now he is seeking to sow the seeds of a new economy and politics by
persuading some of the world's most radical environmental thinkers to give,
and take, courses at Schumacher college. But the new times need new mantras.

"The French motto of 'liberté, egalité, fraternité' was relevant to the
French revolution, but it is now outdated," he says. "There is no ecological
dimension to it. And the new age 'mind, body, spirit' slogan is far too
navel-gazing.

"We are looking for what I would call a new trinity, a "soil, soul, society"
philosophy - soil for the environment, soul for the spiritual dimension, and
society for the social justice that is essential."

*· *Earth Pilgrim: A Year on Dartmoor, narrated by Satish Kumar, will be
shown on BBC2 at 8pm on Friday.

*· *Kumar is the author of Spiritual Compass, Green Books, £9.95.

*· *Listen to Kumar on Environment Weekly at
blogs.guardian.co.uk/ethicalliving

*· *Kumar will be giving a talk on March 4 at the Royal Institute of British
Architects<http://www.architecture.com/WhatsOn/RIBATrustProgramme/2008/Spring.aspx>as
part of the International Dialogues: Architecture and Climate Change
series. He will be in conversation with Tony Juniper, Executive Director of
Friends of the Earth.

*·* schumachercollege.org.uk <http://www.schumachercollege.org.uk/>

*·*
resurgence.org<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jan/16/activists/www.resurgence.org>