---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kavitha Kuruganti <kavitha.kuruga...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Dear friends,

As you all know, without addressing any fundamental concerns with regard to
GM foods like Bt Brinjal, the Genetic Engineering Approval Committee (GEAC)
of India had yesterday cleared Bt Brinjal, the first ever GM food crop in
India and the first ever such GM vegetable in the world with the Bt poison
inside it, for 'environmental release' (a euphemism being used for some
reason for permission for commercial cultivation since environmental release
began years ago with open air trials!). It is reported that the Government
of India will now take a final decision on this.

In protest against this approval by GEAC of this toxic, unneeded brinjal,
which will take away choices from farmers and consumers in irreversible
ways, we are putting out this call for a one-day Fast on World Food Day,
tomorrow, the 16th of October.

The message is simple:* "WE WOULD RATHER FAST THAN EAT YOUR POISON".*

May I request a large number of you to express your own stand against GM
foods and convey it to the government through this one-day fast tomorrow.
You can fast wherever you are but an ideal situation would be if some of you
can form a group and sit outside the office of any concerned authority for a
while at least, to convey your message. Whether you are at home fasting or
at your office, please make sure that you let us know that you are doing
this by sending a message to me *(kavitha.kuruga...@gmail.com) or Jaikrishna
at (green...@rediffmail.com)*. Please circulate this widely so that we have
hundreds of Indians registering themselves for this fast tomorrow.

Meanwhile, for those of you who are going to speak to a few of your
friends/colleagues/family members and would be enlisting more people for
this, kindly send me the entire list of people who are going to fast in one
mail rather than many. We will be putting up all the names that come in on
the web by tonight. Please issue press releases wherever you want to, to
highlight this initial response to the callous attitude of the Indian
regulators when it comes to sustainable development for all of us.

Please mention the following details when you register yourself for this:
NAME and CITY/TOWN.

Thank you.

Kavitha

ps: Also watch out for a mail on a more sustained battle on this issue being
planned out.

--
KAVITHA KURUGANTI
Kheti Virasat Mission