http://bihartimes.com/viewersvoice/2008/Oct/vv93.html

Social engineering required in Bihar

 The past history of Bihar is glorious but present is shameful. The
society and villages are divided on the basis of caste and creed. This
discrimination is the major disturbance in the development in Bihar.
Caste based politics destroyed the harmony of the society. The
economically weaker section of the society is not getting proper
benefit provided by the government. Those who are politically
influential persons are getting all benefits whatever their caste may
be. Even today people of many areas cook their food in earthen pots.
>From last 20 years many politicians vowed to make equality in Bihar
but I felt the distance increased in between the poor and the rich.
Still the development of villages is very slow. Brain drain is still
continuing from Bihar.

Recently I went to take flood relief in a village of Madhepura
district and I could see the social structure and standard of living
in Bihar in reality. In that village there were mainly two castes:
yadav and rishidev (musahar). I found discrimination between them.
Even in flood situation they were not helping each other. On the basis
of humanity there should not be such discrimination.

 Most of the women were half naked in that village. They were only in
saree neither petticoat nor blouse. I never saw such a condition of
women and children at any place. There were many malnourished
children. They had protruded belly and bowed legs. I felt the real
situation of Bihar. The glamour of towns and cities is not the
reality.In the ancient time, the basis of caste was the work. But in
this mechanized era, there is no importance of the caste system. Even
the dominant castes of Bihar such as Bhumihar Brahmin, Kurmis and
Yadavas are selling shoes and vegetables. Therefore, I would like to
request the present politicians of Bihar to do social engineering on
the basis of economy not on the caste.


Sudhir Kumar
Senior Research Fellow (SRF)
Endocrinology Div.
Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI)
Lucknow

Reply via email to