The credit of honoring this legend goes to the following donors. FFEI is only a
facilitator.
·  Mr Kaki Madhava Rao, IAS (Rtd), Hyderabad
·  Mr Naresh Penumaka, IRS, Hyderbad
·  Mr Milind Thamke, US
·  Mr Sandeep Chavan, Hyderabad
·  Mr Maharaj Kaul, US
·  Ms Mina Kumar, USA
·  Mr Rayadas Manthena, US

Please read.
Benjamin

Ambedkar Awards : Honoring a legend

By Vidya Bhushan Rawat

Rarely you come across such a personality whose life could inspire many yet
remain invisible. Just because some body writes in the native language does not
mean that things did not move in India. Baby Tai Kamble, whose 82 birthday was
celebrated by a host of people together with Ambedkar Awards Ceremony conferred
on her by Friends for Education International USA, an initiative of a committed
Ambedkrite friend Benjamin Kaila. His commitment has given new hopes to
aspiring scholars, computer scientists and engineers and would be doctors from
various Dalit communities in India. Since last two years, FFEI under the
stewardship of Benjamin Kaila has been honoring various new initiatives taken
by the unknown Dalits. Those who have done tremendous work yet remain
unrecognized and invisible. In his first contribution an award of Rs 10,000 was
conferred on the Dalit women from Bundelkhand region of Uttar-Pradesh who
started a weekly newspaper named as Khabar
 Laharia. He asked me whether   I know Khabar Laharia people and I told him my
opinion and thus I went to deliver this award to these brave women who have
initiated a great change in Bundelkhand. And I want to inform here that it was
perfectly right decision.

Now, with Baby Tai Kamble, who I personally think inspire every one who
believes in freedom and women's emancipation. I had the opportunity to meet
Baby Tai earlier in Delhi several years back when she came to India Social
Forum and addressed a gathering of Dalit women. That time when I heard her,  I
realized her passion, her struggle and her values. It was amazing, how in such
a ripe age, she is still lively, and ready to go to any part of her state and
India.

Hence, when brother Benjamin and his team decided that Baby Tai Kamble should
be honored for her autobiography ' The Prison we broke', it was like a long
cherished dream of mine that Dalit women who are the change makers rarely got
the  recognition. There are many who got awards and rewards and I do not want
to comment upon the merits of such people but definitely by honoring Baby
Kamble, Ambedkar Awards has proved itself to be genuine torch bearer of Baba
Saheb Ambedakr's movement. Baby Tai Kamble is the link between us and the
struggle of Dr Ambedkar. Her experience with Ambedkar's movement is a lesson
for us.

When I came to Phalton to meet Baby Tai and give her the message of Ambedkar
Awards and hand over the cheque to her, I had in mind the glorious struggle of
Baba Saheb Ambedkar, Jyoti Ba Phule and other social reformers. . It was a
great honor to be with her, listen to her and see her charming personality. I
saw the number of people came to attend the programme. Despite a working day,
nearly 500 people turned up. I saw big hoarding of honor being bestowed upon
her. There were intellectuals, activists, the women, who look Baby Tai as their
liberator.

On her birthday, Baby Tai started a legal Aid cell to help the women victim of
domestic violence and other issues related to women. Those who work in the
social movement how difficult is to work among communities. When I saw women in
large number in this gathering and later to hear Baby Tai though she did not
speak much, I can assure you, Ambedkar Awards has infact brought itself to
glory with honoring Baby Tai.

I spent some moments with Baby Tai and I would like to spend some days at her
place to know her and learn from her movement some time later. I would like to
inform you that her book which is wonderfully crafted and shows how the women
participated in Dr Ambedkar's movement despite hurdles created by their family
persons. Dalit women's struggle is double as she has to convince the people in
her family to go out as well as those outside the caste. So her struggle is
much more difficult. Baby Tai is perhaps the first women among the Dalit
fraternity whose autobiography has come out and is translated into French,
Spanish, English, Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu languages. I have seen all those
translations. Currently it is also being translated into Kannada. I am sure all
those who believe in Ambedkarite vision of a liberated society would read her
book and understand her struggle. She is a true follower of Baba Saheb Ambedkar.

Maharastra and Tamilnadu always inspired me. May be because of the fact that I
found voices of change in these two states. Dr Ambedkar and Periyar remained my
icon. I loved each and every word they spoke and wrote. Hence in selecting Baby
Tai Kamble,  I want to thank brother Benjamin Kaila. He has honored himself by
honoring Baby Tai Kamble. It is an honor for me to represent FFEI here and
honor Baby Tai.

The Rajas may come and go. The powerful are respected in their own country but
those who change a system and those who give society a vision are respected
world over. Baby Tai kamble is a veteran. She is a source of inspiration for
hundreds of youngsters like me who work to change the system and are part of
people's movement. I salute her. I salute her spirit. I salute her vision. We
need to honor such people and pay our greatful respect to them.

I saw Baby Tai's middle school which she started for orphan children who were
mostly described as nomads and criminal tribes. I saw a young boy who showed me
various paintings that he painted. It was amazing. The children were learning.
They were getting meals in their schools. I could not see Savitri Bai Phule but
I have seen Baby Tai and I can say with full sincerity that she is an
inspiration and that hundreds of youngsters take inspiration and blessing from
her. I wish her a long life so that she can inspire people like us. We do not
have many people who follow Baba Saheb's mission. She is a true embodiment of
Ambedkar's principal of humanism and liberation. She is truly an Ambedkarite
and humanist who believe in the emancipation of women and Dalits without Gods.

All the major newspaper carried out the award ceremony. But leave that apart,
it is not important whether n newspapers or TV channel carried news item or
not. What is more important whether the life inspire us or not. And I can say
with full conviction that with the number of people who turned up and spoke,
Baby Tai remain an inspiring figure. I hope to pen down my experience with her
and on her book but at the later stage but at the moment, I want to communicate
you all that brother Benjamin Kaila's and his friends decision to honor Baby
Tai Kamble has really helped the cause of honor Baba Saheb and his mission and
I am sure this will not only inspire people to read Baby Tai and her work but
also about the work Friends for Education is doing for the Dalit students in
India.

Vidya Bhushan Rawat
Visit my blog at
www.manukhsi.blogspot.com

For information on the issues, movements and priorities of Scavenger community
in India please log on to
www.swachchakar.blogspot.com

Contribute your article on freedom, humanism and human rights to
www.manuski.com

For information on civil society initiatives on Muslims in UP please log on to
www.rehnumaa.blogspot.com

For Social action, land rights, right to food and hunger issues support Social
Development Foundation at  www.thesdf.org