Justice, at last


Seven persons have been awarded life imprisonment in the Dulina Dalit
lynching case, but the battle for justice may not be over.


Some of those convicted, outside the court.

THE long wait for justice by the families of the five Dalit youth who
were lynched on October 15, 2002, at the police post in Dulina village
in Jhajjar district of Haryana is finally over. On August 9, a
district court awarded life imprisonment to seven convicts in the

The Dalits were taken to the police post by a group of people who
accused them of slaughtering a cow on Dasara day. The crowd soon
swelled into a murderous mob and it beat them up in the presence of
senior police officers and officials of the district administration.
The police personnel did not fire a single shot to disperse the
assailants ( Frontline, January 18, 2003).

The case should have been long settled as the crime happened in front
of law-enforcers. But because of the caste identities of the victims
and the perpetrators of the crime, it was clear that the road to
justice was going to be a long one. The State government set up a
commission headed by R.R. Banswal, the then Commissioner of Rohtak
range, to inquire into the circumstances that led to the incident. The
commission report, submitted in December 2002, summed up the sequence
of events and castigated the police. It concluded that the five Dalits
were murdered at the police post. The exhaustive, 383-page report
recommended action against the police officials concerned for
dereliction of duty.

According to Jhajjar District Special Judge A.K. Jain, the crime was
“well planned and premeditated”. A total of 30 persons were accused
initially in the lynching case. On August 7, the court found seven of
them guilty under Sections 148 (rioting armed with deadly weapons),
449 (house trespass in order to commit offence), 332 (voluntarily
causing hurt), 353 (assault or criminal force), 302 (punishment for
murder) and 149 (every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence
committed in prosecution of common object) of the Indian Penal Code.
On August 9, the court awarded life imprisonment to them and imposed
on them a fine of Rs.20,000 under Section 302. The accused were also
awarded rigorous imprisonment (RI) for two years under Section 148;
seven years' RI and a fine of Rs.5,000 under Section 449; two years'
RI under Section 332; and two years' RI under Section 353. All
sentences will run concurrently. However, they were acquitted under
relevant sections of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
(Prevention of Atrocities) Act. The court acquitted the rest of the

On the basis of the evidence on record, the judge noted in his order
that the seven accused (six Jats and one Dalit) – Ranbir, Om Parkash,
Satbir, Ramesh, Shishupal, Jagbir and Sube – dragged the five people
out after breaking open the door of the police lockup, killed them on
the spot and threw the bodies of two into a fire. The order, however,
noted that there was no cogent evidence to prove that the accused set
on fire any building or hut or that the crime in question was
motivated by the caste of the victims. The order said: “On the
contrary, it is apparent that the accused were not even aware of the
caste of the victims…. In this background, no offence is made out
under the S.C. and S.T. (Prevention of Atrocities) Act against the

On the day the judgment was pronounced, a huge crowd gathered outside
the Jhajjar court in support of the accused, reminiscent of the huge
mobilisation on October 16, 2002, to put pressure on the
administration against their arrest. Not a word was uttered in support
of the massacre victims either then or now. Slogans were raised in
support of the cow. According to the report of the then Deputy
Commissioner, Jhajjar, various social and religious organisations
conducted meetings and took out processions through the bazaars of
Jhajjar town and submitted memoranda to the authorities demanding that
no action be taken against the people who had killed the “cow

The mood on August 7 was no less different. All shops in Jhajjar town
downed their shutters protesting against the sentence. At a meeting
held in support of those found guilty, the Jhajjar Gurukul Pradhan
Vijaypal and Haryana Gaushala Sangh president, Acharya Baldev, gave a
call to protect the cow. On August 10, the Jhajjar Gaushala organised
a panchayat to decide a future course of action. It was decided to
hold a bigger meeting in which representatives of khaps, gurukuls and
gaushalas were expected to participate.

At least two of the seven convicts had connections with the Shiv Sena
or the Bharatiya Janta Party. One of them is a former municipal
councillor and president of the district unit of the Shiv Sena. The
other, the pradhan of the Jhajjar Gaushala and a former member of the
BJP, is now associated with the ruling Indian National Lok Dal (INDL).
It may be pertinent here to mention that in the past few years “cow
rescue” operations have intensified, with vigilantes stopping vehicles
suspected to be carrying animals for slaughter. Needless to add, all
these activities have a “communal” subtext to them. The then Deputy
Superintendent of Police (DSP), Narender Singh, stated in his
deposition to the prosecution that “the crowd was agitated
communally”. Rajinder Singh, Station House Officer (SHO), Dulina, also
deposed that someone from the mob shouted that “the victims were dhedh
(a derogatory term used for Dalits), they were doing the job like
Muslims and they should not be spared”. In his statement as a
prosecution witness, Rajinder Singh said one Mahabir had stood on the
bonnet of his vehicle and announced that the victims were not Muslims
but Hindus who had purchased the carcass of the cow for Rs.200.


A PROTEST in support of the convicts outside the primises.


The blatantly communal and casteist character of the attack was
apparent. Whether the local police colluded with the killers by
remaining passive observers as the five were dragged out from a locked
room, beaten and burnt alive, is a question the families of the
victims are asking. Why did the main building of the police post not
bear any signs of mob violence? Why did the plant pots on the premises
not suffer any damage? Why was it that some policemen sustained only
minor injuries in an attack by a 5,000-strong mob? These are questions
that need to be answered. Dharambir Singh, who was in charge of the
police post at the time of the crime, admitted in his statement that
when he found that it was not a case of cow slaughter, he did not
record the statement of the persons who had made the complaint; nor
did he record the statement of the deceased persons. “I cannot give
any reason for that,” he stated.

On October 15, 2002, as the rest of the State was celebrating Dasara,
the festival symbolising the victory of good over evil, for Kailash,
Virender, Tota Ram, Raju and Dayachand, it was business as usual. They
were the main breadwinners of their families. The youngest of them was
17-year-old Raju, a cleaner. Tota Ram, the driver of the vehicle that
was carrying the hides, had four minor children. Kailash had promised
his son, Kamal, that he would return home early to celebrate Dasara.
Engaged in the activity of purchasing, loading and unloading the skins
of dead animals, which members of no other caste would take up, the
five men had landed in Farookhnagar where a cow owned by a Brahmin was
reported dead. They picked up the dead animal from a local contractor,
called Hanif, and attempted to skin the already putrefying carcass.

Interestingly, the Banswal Commission report had expressed doubts
about the very fact that the cow had been skinned on the road, and
that too near a religious institution like the Gurukul of Jhajjar.
Witnesses involved in the skinning trade, who were examined by the
commission, deposed that those in the trade observed the rule that no
skinning would be done after sunset. That there had been a conflict
between some of the police personnel and one of the deceased over
bribes for letting vehicles pass through was also hinted at in the

More interestingly, the five were caught by people returning after the
Dasara festivities, beaten up and handed over to the police at Dulina.
They forced the assistant sub-inspector, who was also a witness for
the prosecution, to register a case of cow slaughter against the five
men. Strangely, the Jhajjar superintendent of police in his report to
the National Human Rights Commission, the State's director-general of
police, and the inspector-general, Rohtak range, withheld the names of
the accused persons and the inquest reports. That it was not a case of
cow slaughter was verified by a team of police persons. The SP stated
that by the time the verification was complete, a violent crowd had
gathered outside the police post. They were shouting slogans such as
“Gau mata ki jai ho”, “Gau mata ke hatyaron ko hum nahin chodenge”,
“Unhe hamare hawale karo”, and “Ham Hindu hain aur tum Hindu nahin
ho”. It was equally strange that the magistrates and the police
present there felt that if firing was resorted to, the situation would
worsen and that persuasion was a better method to calm the crowd.
Clearly, their reluctance to open fire resulted in the lynching.

It is surprising that from 6-20 p.m. onwards when the five were handed
over to the police and until 11-10 p.m. when the roadblocks were
removed and the five men were lynched to death, the administration did
not think it wise to fire a single shot in the air. The contradictory
statements of the police did not help the case progress initially.
While the police post in charge and the DSP reportedly described the
mob as having swelled to 3,000, the SHO, the city magistrate and two
other officials gave the figure in hundreds.

Banswal observed in his report that the mob strength was not more than
1,000 and the police strength was sufficient to handle the situation.
He was unable to understand why the SHO, the DSP and the executive
magistrate attempted to convince the crowd that the five were not
Muslims. He also failed to understand why an additional police force
could not reach the spot despite repeated demands by the DSP and the
magistrate, while people could reach the police post from a distance
of more than six kilometres through dirt tracks. Were the police
deliberately disinterested?

According to the post-mortem reports, the Dalits had died of shock and
haemorrhage, their bodies bore multiple injuries and fractures and
their faces were “contused and disfigured” with burns. Kailash was
thrown alive into a fire. The injuries on the three policemen and one
city magistrate were superficial in nature, leading Banswal to
conclude from the medico legal reports that “there was no such serious
confrontation” between the mobsters and the police. The absence of
three names, including that of the chairman of the gaushala, from the
first information report, too, raised serious questions about the
impartiality of the police.

Five witnesses from different castes and occupations examined by the
commission stated that two of the deceased, Virender and Daya Chand,
had told them that the police were in the habit of demanding suvidha
shulk, or convenience tax, from them. Banswal's report concluded that
the police officers and officials had exaggerated the strength of the
mob in order to cover up their lapses. The record of the VT (verbal
transmission) messages showed that the force, to be assembled from
various police stations, was requisitioned only at 9-15 p.m. Another
surprising fact, the report noted, was that the police force from the
police lines of Jhajjar reached the Dulina police post after an hour
and a half covering a distance of 8 km. The SHO took the matter very
lightly, the report noted, and did not think of arranging first aid
for the victims who had already been beaten up once by the mob.

The DSP tried to pacify the mob; the seriousness of the situation was
not conveyed either to the SP or the Deputy Commissioner. “When the
police force present at the police post was equipped with rifles and
cartridges, why were they not ordered to be used? It shows the
callousness on the part of the DSP,” the report said.

The five youth were lynched between 9-45 p.m. and 10-15 p.m. on the
night of October 15, 2002. They were brought in at 6-15 p.m. to the
police post, and Banswal noted that there was “sufficient time to
manage and control the situation”. The report also included memoranda
received from various organisations. The commission had examined 114

Several organisations and individuals, including the All India
Democratic Women's Association, the Communist Party of India
(Marxist), the Shri Guru Ravi Dass Sabha and the Maharshi Balmiki
Mandir Samiti, condemned the incident and demanded action against the
police personnel. Some others warned the administration of reprisals
if the “wrong” people were arrested. The INLD and the Congress for
some strange reason did not submit any memoranda demanding justice for
the five slain persons.

It is quite possible that the district judge's order will be
challenged in a higher court as mobilisation for this on caste and
communal lines has already begun. In the interest of justice, it is
felt that the government should appeal against the acquittal of the
remaining accused persons so that the right lessons from Dulina are


Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. 
Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your 
settings at

On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with 
like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to 

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank 
mail to OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by 

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia:! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

Reply via email to