A plea for modesty

  By Anne Karpf
  The Guardian | February 28, 2004
  http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,1158388,00.html

People released after decades in jail are cultural historians: their
world has been frozen, so they're surprised by things to which the
rest of us have become habituated. If I were emerging from the clanger
today, what would shock me most isn't the proliferation of reality TV
shows or level of personal debt. No, what would make Britain
unrecognisable is the extent of self-promotion.

When Muhammad Ali said, "I am the greatest", his vainglorious boast
seemed almost comic: brazen bombast indulged as black pride. When John
Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, his remarks
caused outrage not only because they seemed blasphemous, but also
because they sounded more swagger than description. Today, both
statements would pass without comment. In between, we've had Chris
Evans, Julie Burchill, Anne Robinson and disciples, who have helped
turn us into a land of braggers and boasters. How did Britain become
so gabby and in-your-face? We're still a nation of shopkeepers, but
today what we're selling is ourselves. In the process, a constellation
of personal qualities has been derided and devalued, and is in the
process of vanishing altogether. Modesty, stoicism, self-restraint and
resilience: these are endangered virtues, and I want to hymn them.

I can't believe that I wrote those words - me, who doesn't do decorum
and has chafed against gentility. Who, like my peer group, bristled in
a Britain of Celia Johnsons and Trevor Howards, and frothed in the
face of deference and self-effacement. Now I'm turning elegiacal and
wondering if, in our contempt for traditional values, we missed what
was valuable about them. I'm not doing a midlife recant. I haven't
just had an epiphany revealing that a woman's place is making the
cricket tea. And, of course, it's just possible that my emerging
nostalgia is entirely a function of age. Where once I strode into
university tutorials in my purple velvet hotpants pour �pater le
professeur , now it's the professor I identify with.

It was the death of one of those tutors that got me re-evaluating. A
Christian and spinster, she stood for thoughtfulness, modesty,
everything that isn't meretricious. I responded by bringing to
tutorial a book on St Augustine and sex. And yet, reading her
obituary, I was surprised to find myself feeling that hers was a life
lived with integrity and unostentatiousness. I also noticed how often,
in the past year or so, I've found myself admiring a person's modesty.
When someone insists there's "nothing special about me: I'm very
ordinary", I am instinctively curious and drawn. These are the new
nonconformists.

Often, these people subsume their own needs into looking after others,
so contravening perhaps the central tenet of modern life -
self-advancement. Indeed, modesty is now almost invariably preceded by
the word "false". It's seen as a defect, a sign of insufficient
self-belief, marking you down as in dire need of a makeover to bring
out your inner peacock. Better to inflate your abilities than
underrate them. There are no librarians in glasses who need to be told
they're beautiful any more: they all have their own website, agent and
brand of bottled chutzpah.

Along with modesty, that other quintessentially British
characteristic, self-deprecation, is on the wane - it doesn't work in
a culture of swank and bravado. It lends politicians a fatal air of
diffidence, too, as in the case of Charles Kennedy, who lacks the
ranting gene and self-deprecates nicely. Lord Bell, the Tory peer and
advertising maven, argues that all the classic British television ads
- for Hovis, Heineken and Hamlet - rested on the notion of
self-deprecation. But he adds that stalwart markers of Britishness
such as modesty and stoicism are disappearing because no one knows
what Britishness is any more. Ironically, immigrant communities are
among the last bastions of those qualities.

There have been gains, too, of course: as Britain has become less
demure, it has also become in many ways more exciting. While I've come
to value the way generations coped with horrible experiences without
pathologising themselves or exhibiting the kind of emotional
incontinence that's now ubiquitous, I don't mourn the demise of
denial, that all-too-British way of dismissing psychic pain as a
figment of a foreigner's imagination. On the return of the repressed,
I'm with Freud.

Yet, viewing modern Britain, he'd have diagnosed a nation of
narcissists and exhibitionists, a case of arrested infantilism. Hooked
on applause, we're toddlers living in a world of one, our every
achievement magnified and celebrated. The modest, by contrast, realise
that, in the sum of history and geography, they're but a tiny, passing
crater, and the stoics know that human pain has to be suffered and
can't just be railed against. In short, they're adults.

David Brent is the grotesque apotheosis of self-promotion, a gauge of
how far we've travelled since the time when one of the worst
accusations you could level at a person was that of having a big head.
Yet the success of The Office may mark the beginnings of a backlash
against amour-propre, even if we chuckled at Brent because we
recognise him in others but never fingered ourselves.

It may be too late to bring modesty back into favour. Perhaps we need
a trade union of the self-effacing, an Oscar for tentativeness and
diffidence. Only, thank the Lord, they'd never join the one or accept
the other.










------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/uTGrlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to