"I like being several people"

  Interviewed By Arno Widmann
  Signandsight | July 11, 2005
  http://print.signandsight.com/features/252.html

An interview with the multi-facetted Turkish author Elif Shafak
Berliner Zeitung: 

You are professor of gender studies in the USA. Why do you write novels?

Elif Shafak: It gives me the chance to clone myself. All my readers
who know me and also many of those who don't know me at all will
suspect that there's a lot of me in Gail, the protagonist of my new
novel "The Saint of Incipient Insanities". But I'm also in Ömer and in
Abed and Piyu as well. Even the most subsidiary characters have a lot
in common with me. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to write about
them. There's a relationship between me all my characters in all of my
texts – a sort of spiritual connection.

What is that?

It's hard to put into words. The important thing is that the people in
my novels do not follow me; I follow them. They come alive and grow as
they are written. Sentence for sentence. There are two types of
novelists: the ones who write from above and the ones who write from
inside. If you write from above, first of you work out the plot, then
the characters and then on through every sentence to every word. You
know exactly what each character symbolises, what it stands for. You
stand over the text like a puppet master.

And the second way of writing?

It comes from inside. You start off with no characters, you have a few
seeds, shadows, ghosts. Little by little they start to take form,
almost without the author noticing. When I started "The Saint of
Incipient Insanities" for example, I had no idea that Gail would
become the central character. She pushed her way to the foreground. I
had no choice but to give way to her pressure. Gail has her own will.
She is dominant. I don't like controlling the text. It can be risky,
because sometimes I have no idea where it's all leading. But the
words, the sentences, they create the story and the characters. That's
the power of language. Lots of Turkish writers don't understand this.
They think like politicians, like the majority of people. And they
believe they have power over language. But in reality language
controls us, our vision, our imagination. I give myself over to
language and its power. I follow it. That's my experience. I write
from inside. I don't see language as an instrument which I can use for
my own ends. I write a sentence, because the previous sentence demands it.

Your dissertation is about women and mysticism. What interests you
about the subject?

Turkey is a very polarized country. On the one side is the secular
Left. It has no interest in the past, in Islam, not to mention Islamic
mysticism. It has absolutely no interest - I'm caricaturing a little -
in history. The Left is utterly fixated on the future, on progress. It
doesn't look back. The people who are interested in history, in the
Ottoman empire, are mostly conservative. They long for a return to a
glorified past. Their viewpoint is not critical, either of the past or
of themselves. A third option is rare in Turkey .

Is there no one you can discuss this with in Turkey?

It's difficult. People on the left don't want anything to do with the
past, and anyone who's interested in the past doesn't want to hear any
critical questions. That's why I'm so fascinated by people like Walter
Benjamin, Theodor W. Adorno and critical theory. These were Jewish
intellectuals, agnostics, Marxists, socialists. But this didn't
prevent them from being interested in Jewish mysticism, and part of
their writing is in keeping with this tradition. This connection
fascinates me. I'm a left-wing intellectual, but I'm also interested
in Islamic tradition, and particularly in heterodoxy and mysticism.
That's another reason why I like being in Berlin. This is where
Benjamin's "Berlin Childhood" took place. I don't know Berlin. I got
to know a little bit about it, at least the old Berlin of the past,
through Benjamin's eyes.

Are you in Berlin for the first time?

Yes.

But you lived in Cologne for a while.

No. My mother lived in Cologne for a few years. But I'd already gone
to university by that time. I went to visit her a few times. When I
was ten, my mother became a diplomat. She divorced my father and
started a life of her own. At the beginning of the 70s in Turkey, this
was no mean feat. I didn't see my father again until I was eighteen.

He never visited you?

No.

He must have been the mystery of your childhood?

If your father is dead then it's no problem. You can tell your
friends, your classmates and their parents, "My father is dead". But
when he's still alive and you only get a postcard from him every now
and then, talk to him every now and then on the phone, then he grows.
He doesn't exactly become important, but his absence increases. I
cried for my father, hated him, and pushed him aside. One after the
other. His name might be in my passport but I don't use it. My books
are not published in his name. Shafak, my writer's name is my mother's
first name. It means something like break of dawn. And it's the first
letter of the alphabet.

So you see, names are important for me. And you can see why. I also
like the old Jewish tradition of changing your name when you change
your life. I like the idea that when you move to a new country and
change your language, that your name changes too. It's pronounced
differently, shortened. Your new friends shape it to suit their
language. There are people that complain when their name is pronounced
differently. I like it when that happens. I have the feeling of
reproducing myself. I like being many people.

You grew up alone with your mother?

Yes. We moved around a lot. As a child I lived in Madrid and Amman. I
also spent a lot of time with my grandmothers in Turkey. One of them
believed in ghosts and djinnis. The other one was less religious, but
her God was the all-powerful, the God of men. Her religion was based
on fear. The God of the other grandmother was one that loved me,
teased me and cuddled me. My family also had pictures of Atatürk on
every wall – in the living room, in the kitchen, in the bedroom.
Atatürk everywhere. My mother's father was a leading officer in the
army, an ardent Turkish nationalist, a moderniser. That all went hand
in hand. So there were always breaks in my life. I learned very early
on that nothing is secure in life, not even the ground under your
feet. The one thing that accompanied me everywhere were my books and
my writing. I started early. Writing is the only continuity in my life.

So you don't have any childhood friends?

Of course I do. I have lots of friends, all round the world. That's
the wonderful thing about it. I've been a nomad since I was a child
and I still am. I love Istanbul. The city is important for me. I don't
just think of it as the background to my life and writing, but as a
person. Istanbul greets me when I wake up in the morning. But I don't
only live there; I also live six months of the year in the USA in
Tuscon, Arizona. It doesn't make things easy for my friends and it's
painful for me too. But it's the only way I can live. Not that I don't
have roots. I have very strong roots, but they don't go into the
earth. They are air roots.

Are you always looking for new roots?

At the University of Tucson there are people from all over the world.
They come from Iran, India, Japan, everywhere. The majority of them
make a very strict division between their past and their present
lives. They were Iranians, Japanese. Now they are Americans. It's
different with me. I don't stop being Turkish when I'm in the USA, and
I'm also an American when I'm in Istanbul. I don't want to have to
decide. Especially not between East and West. These are completely
illusionary concepts. I love things that are multicultural,
multilingual. I like to be able to combine things that are remote from
each other.

People resting securely in their culture have a feeling of security.
They are identical to themselves. They know where they belong. They
have a feeling of continuity. I don't have this security. I feel this
lack but I also feel the obligation to make a decision is an
impossible demand. At least for the time being. I might change some
day. But since I can think, I have seen things this way, and this
perception of the world and my position in it is the basis for my life
and my writing.

You don't like things to be written in stone.

It's true. That's a reason I don't like modern Turkish either. The
destruction of the Ottoman empire did not only signal the
nationalisation of Turkey and the introduction of the Latin alphabet,
but also the Turkification of the Turkish language. The Arabic words,
the Persian words were replaced with Turkish words. It happened
overnight. Under orders. It was a raid. The vocabulary shrivelled. In
old Turkish there were dozens of words for colours. Today there are
perhaps eight. It annoys me. I use the old words again. When, for
example, I need a certain dark orange, I don't just write orange
because it's the only word left in Turkey today, but I use the old,
banished, forgotten word for exactly the nuance I want. I won't accept
that it should be dead forever. I love to use the old words which the
Kemalists banned from our language. This is enough to raise their
heckles. They accuse me of undermining the great project of modern
Turkey. Just because I use words from Islamic mysticism and Sufism,
for example.

So my language disturbs the nationalists, the progressives. The
conservatives approve of my using the old words, but my themes upset
them. They don't like it when homosexuality and transsexuality play
important roles. They don't like it when traditional roles of the
sexes are questioned or swapped around. I aggravate both sides.
Neither of them support me. Which is a good thing because Turkey and
its culture are far too polarised. Everything is viewed as either old
or new. They live on two separate islands. The secularists have their
island and peer out mistrustfully at everyone else. It's the same with
the Islamists. I don't want to live on an island. I refuse to. I like
it when I see heavily veiled women at my readings next to ones in
short skirts. They all read my books and some of them leave their
islands to come to my readings. That's wonderful. When you mix the two
sides together you end up with friends on both.

Do you also use new Turkish words in the way that youth language, for
example, imports English ones?

Every word you take from a language, leaves behind it a void that
wants to be filled. Then you go to English, French, German. In Turkey
regulation amnesia is the order of the day. Everything that took place
before the republic has been forgotten. If you ask people today about
the street names, or about the graves in the graveyards, nobody can
explain what they see. It's not just words that have gone missing and
large parts of the language, but also cultural curiosity. That's very
dangerous for a country, for a society.

Were they lost or were they killed?

They were not killed, in the way you would kill someone with a knife.
The people internalise this condition. They live in a street whose
name means nothing to them. They would just never consider looking it
up in a dictionary or a lexicon. Today nobody is being forced to
forget, but they forget. They've got used to forgetting. That's how
the system works.

You are a cosmopolitan that can't free herself from Turkish history?

A true cosmopolitan is far more interested in cultures and their
history than a nationalist. It needs a foreigner's eye, an outside
viewpoint to see things the local people no longer see. They are so
used to them that they overlook them. If you go to Istanbul, you'll
see things there that no Istanbulite sees. You'll notice smells,
noises and sounds that the Istanbulites would never notice. If you're
too emerged in something you're no longer aware of it. I like this
dilemma, of being insider and outsider at the same time. It's good to
move around. To go away and come back. It's difficult because you have
to learn to accept that you don't know about everything, that you have
to learn. It's a humiliating experience. But I like it. I like being a
commuter.

I love Istanbul. I know the city well. I scrutinise it. I read a lot
about it. But I never forget that I didn't come to the city until
quite late on. If only because Istanbul won't allow me to forget. The
Turkish intelligentsia is different. It's completely focussed on
Istanbul. Not even on Istanbul as a whole but on certain districts:
where their family comes from, where they spent their childhood, where
they got married, where they live and work. They all went to the same
university, meet in the same cafes and restaurants. They have the same
friends and enemies. The Turkish intelligentsia is geographically
immobile. This is dangerous.

You say that the the modernisation of Turkey took place through a
series of drastic breaks. Would EU entry be a break that would
fracture the country?

I am all for Turkey's entry into the EU. It would be a blessing for
Turkey. But it would also be a blessing for Europe. People believe in
East and West. They believe that the two can never meet. They believe
in the clash of cultures. They believe that democracy and Islam are
contradictory. These are dangerous convictions. If they can be broken
down then it's a good thing for Turkey and Europe.

Turkey's modernisation goes back a hundred, two hundred years. It's
not something that's taken place in the last twenty years. The problem
is that the modernisation was a Westernisation imposed from above. The
state always played a central role. I wish the state would play a
smaller role. The role of civilian society has to be strengthened. The
public arena is changing. It already plays a much larger role that it
did a few years ago. This development should be encouraged. The army
can no longer have the authority it's had in Turkey for decades, even
centuries. This is all happening at the moment. Turkish society is
changing rapidly. This is giving rise to new problems. That's only
normal. I have no fear. But one thing I do fear everywhere in the
world is nationalism. That's the danger; not Christianity or Islam.

Why would the Turkish EU entry be a blessing for Europe?

There are people who are fascinated by their reflection. They only
want to see themselves everywhere. They want to be surrounded by
people who have the same name, the same culture, the same religion,
the same language. These sort of people like to live in enclaves, in
protectorates. If they are Muslims, obsessed by their reflection, they
want to be surrounded by Muslims. If they are Germans, they want to be
surrounded by Germans. The pattern is always identical.

Where is it easier to live as a cosmopolitan, in Tucson, Arizona or
Istanbul?

These are two completely different worlds. I travel to New York a lot.
That's where my publisher is, my proof-reader, my agent, those are my
American literary contacts. New York and Istanbul are closer than
Tucson and Istanbul. I just seem to like living in cosmopolitan cities.

Don't all people, irrespective of whether or not they grew up in a
foreign culture, feel foreign at a certain age? Don't all people have
to create themselves?

Everybody has the same problems but not everybody has the same
answers. I've seen surveys from Germany and the Netherlands which show
that Turkish children think it's completely normal to have Dutch and
German friends. But when they get older, they only have Turkish
friends. The live almost exclusively in Turkish surroundings, on their
Turkish island. Haven't you noticed this? I think it's fascinating.
Why do people change so much? Why do adult Turkish women have to – of
course they don't have to - marry Turkish men? How does this happen?
What happens to their German childhood friends. These are the sort of
questions I find interesting. I worry about these developments and the
problems that accompany them. Of course we all have problems finding
ourselves. That's part of being human. But why do we always fall into
nationalist traps? I find it fascinating.

Do you believe in God?

Yes I believe in God. Yes.

Is God interested in you?

Oh yes, she's very interested in me. I am spiritual but not religious.
I'm interested in the magic of the world – I'm a writer. How can you
write without that? It's more of a Spinozan understanding of God and
the world, a cyclical understanding, in which everything appears once
and God is the name given to it all. What interests me about religions
are people with heterodox beliefs and that they're so similar. People
who not only never met but also never heard of each other, who lived
thousands of kilometres and hundreds of years apart, but who
essentially have the same thing to say about their history with God.
They were all persecuted by their religions and cast aside.

And this God is interested in you?

It's not a God that is outside me. It's in me. I am a part of her, or him.

Then you're a goddess?

No, I'm not that. But we are all parts of God. Everything is a part of
God. We are all part of this one essence. That's a very interesting
way of thinking. Cyclical thinking has very radical implications. Just
look at how it was hounded by all orthodoxies throughout the
centuries. The worst thing for orthodoxy was that mystics were also
Muslims. They read the same book. But they interpreted it differently.
That was intolerable.

But people with heterodox beliefs were not always poor and persecuted.
They also enjoyed being heterodox. They liked to contradict.

Oh yes. Being anti-authoritarian is fun and it's also good.

Does that go for writing too? Do you have any role models?

No. I have no role models. I don't like role models. Bertolt Brecht
wrote "unglücklich das Land, das Helden nötig hat" (unhappy the
country that needs heroes). I don't like heroes. I don't want to look
up to anyone. I don't want to walk in anyone's footsteps. But of
course there are lots of people who have inspired me and continue to
do so. But I've never put anyone on a pedestal.

You'd rather push things off pedestals?

Turkey put Atatürk on a pedestal. It was forbidden to question or
criticise him. The transformation of the entire Turkish society is
presented solely as his achievement. Instead of looking at the
historical process and his role in it, people act as if he created
Turkey and not the other way round. Destruction is creative. These
seeming opposites belong together. I'm interested in how they permeate
each other. I like the dialectic of death and life. I've always been
interested in seemingly contradictory opposites and their destruction.
This interest is basically what drives my writing.

Is this just an intellectual interest or one you live as well?

I live it. That's the problem. The novel played such a central role in
Turkey's modernisation, becoming a nation, that it's traditionally
seen as a sort of art of societal engineering. That's a very
intellectual view of the novel. The Turkish author is therefore
primarily a father-author. In other words an author who stands over
his text, his characters, the book, the reader. I don't like this
tradition. For me, writing is a highly irrational passion. I put it
into the high-brow genre of the novel which in Turkey stands for
secularisation, for the demystification of the world.

You talk very rationally about it.

I'm a university professor. I like being one. I need it as well, to
some extent. To keep things in balance. Authors are very powerful
people. As long as they're writing, they can pull all the strings.
They create people and kill them off. Sitting at their desks they play
God. At the university, I'm not God. I have to prepare seminars. I
have to learn. I have to learn what other people have written, what
they're saying and what they stand for. I have to communicate all this
to the students as much as I have to communicate my own thoughts. It
does me good. I have to read. But when once you've started reading,
you can never stop. The more you read, the less you know. But that's
precisely what's important for me. That too is a lesson in humility.
After the egotism of the all-knowing, all-powerful author. We all need
to have something else, to keep a balance. Carpenters need it,
gardeners, and writers too. Writers have to continually step out of
the self-centred world of their fictions. Otherwise they get totally
engulfed and don't even notice it.

Do you do that?

There are two phases in my work. In one I write my novel. Then I'm
obsessed and not normal. But when the novel 's ready, I switch over to
the other person. I become interested again in the world around me, in
family and friends. And I start to do things other than writing. I
live in this pendular rhythm. There are authors who do things
completely differently. They write like bureaucrats, five hours a day,
eight pages day after day. They are disciplined. It doesn't matter if
it rains or snows, or if the sun is shining, or what's happening in
the outside world of friends or family. It doesn't matter if they're
in a good mood or bad, if they're healthy or sick. I'm not like this
at all.

You recover from writing novels at the university?

It's all about shifting paradigms. Not always doing the same thing.
Changing rhythm. It's good for mind, body and soul. The most important
thing is not to get too comfortable with yourself and your work. This
feeling of security is the greatest danger for novelists. In the end
they really believe they're the centre of the universe.

There is a German proverb which says: God knows everything. The German
professor always knows better. But you see your professorship as an
exercise in humility.

You can acquire knowledge and apply it to become powerful and remain
powerful. But has that ever made anybody happy? I certainly don't see
it like that. Perhaps it's because I enter a seminar after leaving my
writer's desk where I'm God.


*

(The article originally appeared in German in the Berliner Zeitung on
July 2, 2005.

Elif Shafak was born 1971 in Strasbourg and grew up in Spain and
Turkey. She studied political science, sociology and philosophy. She
has published four novels and is considered Turkey's most important
female novelist. Since 2002 she has been Professor of Gender Studies
at the University of Tucson, Arizona.

Arno Widmann was born in 1948 and studied philosophy in Frankfurt with
Theodor W. Adorno. A founder and editor-in-chief of the tageszeitung,
he has also worked as senior editor of the German Vogue and arts
editor of Die Zeit. Today he runs the opinion pages of the Berliner
Zeitung. He has translated Umberto Eco, Curzio Malaparte and Victor
Serge into German. His literary debut came with his 2002 novel
"Sprenger".)







--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to