Adding a new "stripe" refers to adding a new top level raidz vdev to
the pool.  Instead of adding a single disk to an existing raidz
grouping (which isn't going to buy you much  in the first place), you
add a new raidz group.  Here's an example using simple file vdevs:

zion:~ root# zpool create raider raidz /var/root/vdev1 /var/root/
vdev2 /var/root/vdev3
zion:~ root# zpool status
   pool: raider
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        raider               ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1             ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev2  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev3  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Now add a new raidz stripe to the raider pool:

zion:~ root# zpool add raider raidz /var/root/vdev4 /var/root/vdev5 /
var/root/vdev6
zion:~ root# zpool status raider
   pool: raider
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        raider               ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1             ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev2  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev3  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1             ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev4  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev5  ONLINE       0     0     0
            /var/root/vdev6  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

For more info and examples, you can also check out:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/zfsadmin.pdf

Noel