Jeff Bonwick wrote:
For example, if I gave you the right to snapshot ~darrenm, I might
want to only allow you 10 snapshots.  Is that a worthwhile restriction
or is it better to just let quotas take care of that?

At issue here is the potential for (again :) zfs to spam df output
through potentially accidental excessive use of snapshots by a
user with a buggy cron job.

I'd be inclined to just let quotas take care of it, because a snapshot
is really just another way of using space.

As a general principle I think an operating system should restrict
physical resources (disk space, physical memory, CPU time) as necessary,
but not put any limits on logical resources (e.g. files per directory,
mappings per address space, or integer multiplies per function call).
Limits on logical resources tend to be very annoying to deal with.

I completely agree. Give the user a disk quota what they do with it is up to them. Uses often have different needs depending on their personal paranoid of computers and backup software and what they actually do. One user might work on only one or two files but need lots of snapshots another might have lots of files and never snapshot at all.

--
Darren J Moffat