David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
It's easy to corrupt the volume, though -- just copy random data over
*two* disks of a RAIDZ volume.  Okay, you have to either do the whole
volume, or get a little lucky to hit both copies of some piece of
information before you get corruption.  Or pull two disks out of the
rack at once.
I tried that too - some of the files were borked, but I was impressed that other files on the volume were still recoverable. Also, ZFS automatically started the scrub - which was handy. Unfortunately, my test system only had one HDD (with 3 partitions simulating a RAID-Z), so the timing wasn't realistic.
With the transactional nature and rotating pool of top-level blocks, I
think it will be pretty darned hard to corrupt a structure *short of*
deliberate damage exceeding the redundancy of the vdev.  If you
succeed, you've found a bug, don't forget to report it!
I buy "very good, backed by good theory and good coding". After after a few months of testing, I might even buy "better than any other general purpose filesystem and volume manager".

But infallible?  If so, I shall name my storage server "Titanic".

-Luke