[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
This is the case where I don't understand Sun's politics at all: Sun
doesn't offer really cheap JBOD which can be bought just for ZFS. And
don't even tell me about 3310/3320 JBODs - they are horrible expansive :-(

Yep, multipacks are EOL for some time now -- killed by big disks.  Back when
disks were small, people would buy multipacks to attach to their workstations.
There was a time when none of the workstations had internal disks, but I'd
be dating myself :-)

For datacenter-class storage, multipacks were not appropriate.  They only
had single-ended SCSI interfaces which have a limited cable budget which
limited their use in racks.  Also, they weren't designed to be used in a
rack environment, so they weren't mechanically appropriate either.  I suppose
you can still find them on eBay.

If Sun wants ZFS to be absorbed quicker it should have such _really_ cheap
JBOD.

I don't quite see this in my crystal ball.  Rather, I see all of the SAS/SATA
chipset vendors putting RAID in the chipset.  Basically, you can't get a
"dumb" interface anymore, except for fibre channel :-).  In other words, if
we were to design a system in a chassis with perhaps 8 disks, then we would
also use a controller which does RAID.  So, we're right back to square 1.
 -- richard