eric kustarz wrote:
Matthew Ahrens wrote:

Here is a proposal for a new 'copies' property which would allow different levels of replication for different filesystems.

Thanks everyone for your input.

The problem that this feature attempts to address is when you have some data that is more important (and thus needs a higher level of redundancy) than other data. Of course in some situations you can use multiple pools, but that is antithetical to ZFS's pooled storage model. (You have to divide up your storage, you'll end up with stranded storage and bandwidth, etc.)

Given the overwhelming criticism of this feature, I'm going to shelve it for now.

So it seems to me that having this feature per-file is really useful. Say i have a presentation to give in Pleasanton, and the presentation lives on my single-disk laptop - I want all the meta-data and the actual presentation to be replicated. We already use ditto blocks for the meta-data. Now we could have an extra copy of the actual data. When i get back from the presentation i can turn off the extra copies.

Under what failure nodes would your data still be accessible? What things can go wrong that still allow you to access the data because some event has removed one copy but left the others?