Anton B. Rang wrote:
Pretty much the only way to tell if you've used up all the space available for
file nodes is to actually try creating a file, though if 'df -e' returns 0 you
*may* not be able to create any new files.  It may be possible to create empty
files (and very small ones) even if there are no free blocks (empty files don't
require data blocks, small files can be packed into the inode).

To generate a full file system most efficiently, presuming you don't actually
need a particular mix of files, I'd suggest writing a single large file in
large blocks (1 megabyte or more) until you get ENOSPC; then writing a smaller
file in small blocks (512 bytes) until ENOSPC; then trying a smaller file once
more; and then creating empty files until you run out of inodes. This should
work pretty well on UFS, ZFS, and QFS, even though the three have quite
different storage structures.
Yes, it is what I am doing. I found a scenario when creating empty files, sometimes the length of the filename is effective.

Thanks,

--
John Cui
x82195