On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 07:32:08PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >Actually, we have considered this.  On both SPARC and x86, there will be
> >a way to specify the root file system (i.e., the bootable dataset) to be
> >booted,
> >at either the GRUB prompt (for x86) or the OBP prompt (for SPARC).
> >If no root file system is specified, the current default 'bootfs' specified
> >in the root pool's metadata will be booted.  But it will be possible to
> >override the default, which will provide that "fallback" boot capability.
>

> I was thinking of some automated mechanism such as:
>
>       - BIOS which, when reset during POST, will switch to safe
>         defaults and enter setup
>       - Windows which, when reset during boot, will offer safe mode
>         at the next boot.
>
> I was thinking of something that on activation of a new boot environment
> would automatically fallback on catastrophic failure.

Provide at least two GRUB menu entries: one for the latest BE, whatever
that is, and one for the last BE known to have booted to a multi-user
milestone.  Then have an SMF service update a ZFS property of the booted
BE to mark it as the last one to have booted.  This property should be a
date, so only the currently booted BE's need be updated.

Nico