On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 09:58:35PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 12:10:30PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > >I think we first need to define what state "up" actually is.  Is it the
> > >kernel booted ?  Is it the root file system mounted ?  Is it we reached
> > >milestone all ?  Is it we reached milestone all with no services in
> > >maintenance ?  Is it no services in maintenance that weren't on the last
> > >  boot ?
> >
> > I think that's fairly simple: "up is the state when the milestone we
> > are booting to has been actually reached".
> >
> > What should SMF do when it finds that it cannot reach that milestone?
>
> Another question might be: how do I fix it when it's broken?

That's for monitoring systems.  The issue here is how to best select a
BE at boot time.  IMO the last booted BE to have reached its default
milestone should be that BE.

> > Harder is:
> >
> > What is the system does not come up quickly enough?

The user may note this and reboot the system.  BEs that once booted but
now don't will still be selected at the GRUB menu as the last
known-to-boot BEs, so we may want the ZFS boot code to reset the
property of the BE's used for making this selection.

> > What if the system hangs before SMF is even starts?
> > What if the system panics during boot or shortly after we
> > reach our desired milestone?
> >
> > And then, of course, "define shortly and quickly".
>
> Such definitions to consider net and SAN booting.

If you're netbooting then you're not doing a ZFS boot, so the point is
moot (this thread is about how to best select a BE to boot at boot
time).  If you're booting ZFS where the boot pool [or one or more or all
of its mirror vdevs] is on a SAN then all the foregoing should apply.

Nico