David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
On 11/26/06, Al Hopper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[4] I proposed this solution to a user on the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
list - and it resolved his problem.  His problem - the system would reset
after getting about 1/2 way through a Solaris install.  The installer was
simply acting as a good system exerciser and heating up his CPU until it
glitched out.  After he removed the CPU fan and cleaned up his heatsink -
he loaded up Solaris successfully.

I just identified and fixed exactly this symptom on my mother's
Windows system, in fact; it'd get half-way through an install, then
start getting flakier and flakier, and fairly soon refuse to boot at
all.  This made me think "heat", and on examination the fan on the CPU
cooler wasn't spinning *at all*.  It's less than two years old -- but
one of the three wires seems to be broken off right at the fan, so
that may be the problem.  It's not seized up physically, though it's a
bit stiff.

Anyway, while the software here isn't Solaris, the basic diagnostic
issue is the same.  This kind of thing is remarkably common, in fact!

Yep, the top 4 things that tend to break are: fans, power supplies,
disks, and memory (in no particular order).  The enterprise-class
systems should monitor the fan speed and alert when they are not
operating normally.
 -- richard