Hi

I'll recommend going over the zfs presentation. One of the points they listed
was that - even in case of silent errors (like you noticed) other systems just
go on. Your data gets silently corrupted and you'd never notice it. If there
are few bit flips in jpegs and movie files, it will almost never be noticeable.
However, there are places where it will cause catastrophy but in day-to-day
cases we don't come across or even if we do - we attribute them to $CAUSE,
forget and go on. ZFS tries to fix this problem as one of its core goals. (that
is why block checksums are there).

Rest assured, zfs + solaris has only uncovered and made it uncomfortably
evident the problem that has been so far latent. Now the uncovering itself may
cause you pains is a different issue.

Ignorance is bliss for most of the humans :-)