On 2-Dec-06, at 12:56 PM, Al Hopper wrote:

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

On Dec 2, 2006, at 6:01 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

While other file systems, when they become corrupt, allow you to
salvage data :-)

They allow you to salvage what you *think* is your data.

But in reality, you have no clue what the disks are giving you.

I stand by what I said.  If you have a massive disk failure, yes.
You are right.

When you have subtle corruption, some of the data and meta data is
bad but not all.  In that case you can recover (and verify the data
if you have the means to do so) t he parts that did not get
corrupted.  My ZFS experience so far is that it basically said the
whole 20GB pool was dead and I seriously doubt all 20GB was corrupted.

That was because you built a pool with no redundancy. In the case where ZFS does not have a redundant config from which to try to reconstruct the
data (today) it simply says: sorry charlie - you pool is corrupt.

Is that the whole story though? Even without redundancy, isn't there a lot of resilience against corruption (redundant metadata, etc)?

--Toby

Regards,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris.Org Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005
             OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Feb 2006