On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 00:08 -0500, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> I had a disk malfunction in a raidz pool today.  I had an extra on in
> the enclosure and performed a: zpool replace pool old new and several
> unexpected behaviors have transpired:
>
> the zpool replace command "hung" for 52 minutes during which no zpool
> commands could be executed (like status, iostat or list).

So, I've observed that zfs will continue to attempt to do I/O to the
outgoing drive while a replacement is in progress.  (seems
counterintuitive - I'd expect that you'd want to touch the outgoing
drive as little as possible, perhaps only attempting to read from it in
the event that a block wasn't recoverable from the healthy drives).

> When it finally returned, the drive was marked as "replacing" as I
> expected from reading the man page.  However, it's progress counter
> has not been monotonically increasing.  It started at 1% and then
> went to 5% and then back to 2%, etc. etc.

do you have any cron jobs set up to do periodic snapshots?
If so, I think you're seeing:

6343667 scrub/resilver has to start over when a snapshot is taken

I ran into this myself this week - replaced a drive, and the resilver
made it to 95% before a snapshot cron job fired and set things back to
0%.

                                                - Bill