On 19-Dec-06, at 2:42 PM, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:

I do see this note in the 3511 documentation: "Note - Do not use a Sun StorEdge 3511 SATA array to store single instances of data. It is more suitable for use in configurations where the array has a backup or archival role."

My understanding of this particular scare-tactic wording (its also in
the SANnet II OEM version manual almost verbatim) is that it has
mostly to do with the relative unreliability of SATA firmware versus
SCSI/FC firmware.

That's such a sad sentence to have to read.

Either prices are unrealistically low, or the revenues aren't being invested properly?

--Toby

Its possible that the disks are lower quality SATA
disks too, but that was not what was relayed to us when we looked at
buying the 3511 from Sun or the DotHill version (SANnet II).

Best Regards,
Jason