Hi Toby,

My understanding on the subject of SATA firmware reliability vs.
FC/SCSI is that its mostly related to SATA firmware being a lot
younger. The FC/SCSI firmware that's out there has been debugged for
10 years or so, so it has a lot fewer hiccoughs. Pillar Data Systems
told us once that they found most of their SATA "failed disks" were
just fine when examined, so their policy is to issue a RESET to the
drive when a SATA error is detected, then retry the write/read and
keep trucking. If they continue to get SATA errors, then they'll fail
the drive.

Looking at the latest Engenio SATA products, I believe they do the
same thing. Its probably unfair to expect defect rates out of SATA
firmware equivalent to firmware that's been around for a long
time...particularly with the price pressures on SATA. SAS may suffer
the same issue, though they seem to have 1,000,000 MTBF ratings like
their traditional FC/SCSI counterparts. On a side-note, we experienced
a path failure to a drive in our SATA Engenio array (older model),
simply popping the drive out and back in fixed the issue...haven't had
any notifications since. A RESET and RETRY would have been nice
behavior to have, since popping and reinserting triggered a rebuild of
the drive.

Best Regards,
Jason

On 12/19/06, Toby Thain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 19-Dec-06, at 2:42 PM, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:

>> I do see this note in the 3511 documentation: "Note - Do not use a
>> Sun StorEdge 3511 SATA array to store single instances of data. It
>> is more suitable for use in configurations where the array has a
>> backup or archival role."
>
> My understanding of this particular scare-tactic wording (its also in
> the SANnet II OEM version manual almost verbatim) is that it has
> mostly to do with the relative unreliability of SATA firmware versus
> SCSI/FC firmware.

That's such a sad sentence to have to read.

Either prices are unrealistically low, or the revenues aren't being
invested properly?

--Toby