Hi:       (Warning, new zfs user question)

I am setting up an X4500 for our small engineering site file server.
It's mostly for builds, images, doc archives, certain workspace archives, misc
data.

I'd like a trade off between space and safety of data. I have not set up a large
ZFS system before, and have only played with simple raidz2 with 7 disks.
After reading "http://blogs.sun.com/relling/entry/raid_recommendations_space_vs_mttdl"; I am leaning toward a RAID-Z2 config with spares, for approx 15 terabytes, but I
do not yet understand the nomenclature and exact config details.
For example, the graph/chart shows that 7+2 RAID-Z2 with spares would be a good balance in capacity and data safety, but I do not know what to do with that number, how it maps to an actual setup? Does that type of config also provide a balance between
performance and data safety?

Can someone provide an actual example of how the config should look?
If I save two disks for the boot, how do the other 46 disks get configured
between spares and zfs groups?
Thanks,

Neal