> My only qualification to enter this discussion is that I once wrote a
> floppy disk format program for minix.  I recollect, however, that each
> sector on the disk is accompanied by a block that contains the sector
> address and a CRC.

You'd have to define the layer you're talking about.  I presume
something like this occurs between a dumb disk and an intelligent
controller, or even within the encoding parameters of a disk, but I
don't think it does between say a SCSI/FC controller and a disk.

So if the drive itself put the head in the wrong sector, maybe it could
figure that out.  But perhaps the scsi controller had a bug and sent the
wrong address to the drive.  I don't think there's anything at that
layer that would notice (unless the application/file system is encoding
intent into the data).

Corrections about my assumption with SCSI/FC/ATA appreciated.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]