HI !

I have some concerns here,  from my experience in the past, touching a
file ( doing some IO ) will cause the ufs filesystem to failover, unlike
zfs where it did not ! Why the behaviour of zfs different than ufs ? is
not this compromising data integrity ?

thanks

Ayaz

From:
Robert Milkowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Recipients:
Manoj Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayaz Anjum
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject:
Re[2]: [zfs-discuss] writes lost with zfs !
Date:
03/08/2007 02:34:20 PM

Hello Manoj,

Thursday, March 8, 2007, 7:10:57 AM, you wrote:

MJ> Ayaz Anjum wrote:

>> 2. with zfs mounted on one cluster node, i created a file and keeps it
>> updating every second, then i removed the fc cable, the writes are
still
>> continuing to the file system, after 10 seconds i have put back the fc
>> cable and my writes continues, no failover of zfs happens.
>>
>> seems that all IO are going to some cache. Any suggestions on whts
going
>> wrong over here and whts the solution to this.

MJ> I don't know for sure. But my guess is, if you do a fsync after the
MJ> writes and wait for the fsync to complete, then you might get some
MJ> action. fsync should fail. zfs could panic the node. If it does, you
MJ> will see a failover.

Exactly.
Files must be open with O_DSYNC of fdsync should be used.
If you don't then writes are expected to be buffered and later put to
disks which in your case has to fail.

If you want to guarantee that when your applications writes something
it's on stable storage then use proper semantics like shown above.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Confidentiality Notice : This e-mail  and  any attachments  are
confidential  to  the addressee and may also be privileged.  If  you are
not  the addressee of  this e-mail, you may not copy, forward, disclose or
otherwise use it in any way whatsoever.  If you have received this e-mail
by mistake,  please  e-mail  the sender by replying to this message, and
delete the original and any print out thereof.