On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:55:24PM -0400, Jim Mauro wrote:

> Server is an example of this (although some argue it is not, since
> technically there's an ESX kernel that runs on the hardware in
> support of the VMM). So....

And that kernel is linux, so......  ;)

> Building a virtual machine on a zpool would require that the host
> operating system supports ZFS. An example here would be our

This is not true.  See below.

> It may help to point out that when a virtual machine is created,
> it includes defining a virtual hard drive, which is typically just a
> file in the file system space of the hosting operating system.
> Given that, a hosting operating system that supports ZFS can allow
> for configuring virtual hard drives in the ZFS space.

Again, this is not true, the "host" OS (the OS running VMWare or
whatnot) doesn't need to know anything at all about what filesystem
the "guest" OS (the OS you are installing into the virtual machine) uses.

The virtualization software takes that file you mention and makes it
appear to be a physical device to the guest OS, so the guest OS is
none the wiser.  The host OS just has a file (or sometimes that file
is split into smaller chunks) that contains the guest OS's pretend
hard-drive.

There is no reason why zfsroot/boot shouldn't work in a VM any more
than any other OS/FS combo wouldn't.

I run Solaris in VMs all the time, a lot of times with ZFS pools, and
it works great.

I will setup a VM image that can be downloaded (I hope to get it done
tomorrow, but if not definitely by early next week) and played with
by anyone who is interested.

-brian
--
"Perl can be fast and elegant as much as J2EE can be fast and elegant.
In the hands of a skilled artisan, it can and does happen; it's just