Hello Brian,

Friday, April 20, 2007, 3:20:03 AM, you wrote:

BH> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:55:24PM -0400, Jim Mauro wrote:

>> Building a virtual machine on a zpool would require that the host
>> operating system supports ZFS. An example here would be our

BH> This is not true.  See below.

>> It may help to point out that when a virtual machine is created,
>> it includes defining a virtual hard drive, which is typically just a
>> file in the file system space of the hosting operating system.
>> Given that, a hosting operating system that supports ZFS can allow
>> for configuring virtual hard drives in the ZFS space.

BH> Again, this is not true, the "host" OS (the OS running VMWare or
BH> whatnot) doesn't need to know anything at all about what filesystem
BH> the "guest" OS (the OS you are installing into the virtual machine) uses.

I think you misunderstood Jim and you're both right.

One case is running virtual machine on a zfs, and another one is using
zfs inside a virtual machine. Those are two different things.

Running virtual machines on a host os with ZFS has several
advantages when you consider all benefits coming from snapshots,
clones and possibly thin zvol provisioning. Not to mention
checksuming which is even more important with virtual machines as
potential data corruption in host os could affect many virtual
systems.

Now the original question by MC I belive was about providing
VMware and/or Xen image with guest OS being snv_62 with / as zfs.
This should allow people to just download such image and run snv_62
with zfs as rootfs without all the hassle there's right now to set it
up.

--
Best regards,
 Robert Milkowski                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]