Hi Mike,

> If I was to plan for a 16 disk ZFS-based system, you would probably
> suggest me to configure it as something like 5+1, 4+1, 4+1 all raid-z
> (I don't need the double parity concept)
>
> I would prefer something like 15+1 :) I want ZFS to be able to detect
> and correct errors, but I do not need to squeeze all the performance
> out of it (I'll be using it as a home storage server for my DVDs and
> other audio/video stuff. So only a few clients at the most streaming
> off of it)

this is possibe. ZFS in theory does not significantly limit the n and 15+1
is indeed possible.

But for a number of reasons (among them performance) people generally
advise to use no more than 10+1.

A lot of ZFS configuration wisdom can be found on the Solaris internals
ZFS Best Practices Guide Wiki at:

  http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide

Richard Elling has done a great job of thoroughly analyzing different
reliability concepts for ZFS in his blog. One good introduction is the
following entry:

  http://blogs.sun.com/relling/entry/zfs_raid_recommendations_space_performance

That may help you find the right tradeoff between space and reliability.

Hope this helps,
   Constantin

--
Constantin Gonzalez                            Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Platform Technology Group, Global Systems Engineering      http://www.sun.de/

Sitz d. Ges.: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer