On 28-Jun-07, at 4:46 PM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:

I guess the userdefinable properties is then what i'm looking for. Well
not what *I* am looking for perse. i was reading the article on Hans
Reiser, the one over at wired, good read btw,
(http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/15-07/ff_hansreiser? currentPage=1).

Somewhere it stated that the 'revolutionairy' new thing about reiser4 was that it tracked meta data somehow, makeing desktop searches MUCH faster.
Don't ask me about the details, i'm no filesystem wiz :) but i'm  sure
someone familiar with Reiser3/4 hopefully ellaborate?

The WIRED article is technically crap^W inept. Go to http:// namesys.com/ for the R4 white papers.

--Toby

Darren J Moffat schreef:
Oliver Schinagl wrote:
The only thing I haven't found in zfs yet, is metadata etc info. The
previous 'next best thing' in FS was of course ReiserFS (4).
Reiser3
was quite a nice thing, fast, journaled and all that, but Reiser4
promised to bring all those things that we see emerging now, like cross
FS search, any document, audio recording etc could be instantly
searched. True there is google desktop search, trackerd and what not,
but those are 'afterthoughts', not supported by the underlying FS.
You could use extended attributes for this type of data - just like
HFS+ does - and then build a search tool ontop of that (like what MacOS
X does with Spotlight).
You can store any kind of data you like in an extended attribute,
however I would caution you that storing the metadata of somethink like
an MP3 file in metadata may not actually be quicker in the long
run.
Exactly what problem are you trying to solve and what kind of metadata
are you looking for that isn't natively inside the file formats like
MP3 for track info and EXIF data in JPEG etc ?
Why do you believe that the file system having knowledge of this is
better some how ?
The other thing that ZFS has is user defineable properties on each
dataset.